1st BG test done

Conor1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the help of my GP wife I was able to take my first BG test. It came back as 6 which she said was ok. We had just been to the cinema and had sweet popcorn.

She said that unless I was on Insulin I wouldn't need to test very often.

Conor

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like your wife doesn't understand why you (and everyone else) needs to test. Maybe you could educate her?

Non-insulin users don't need to test to keep an eye on levels and possible hypos. True enough.

However, we do need to test out what our food is doing to us until we are certain which foods our bodies can cope with. We need to test immediately before we eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite, and sometimes also at 1 hour and 2.5 hrs until we have cracked it. Keeping a food diary and recording your levels alongside is a good plan so you can eventually see patterns emerging. Use this information to control your carb portions. If the rise from before to after is more than 2mm/l there is something in that food that needs tweaking. (Ideally less than 1.5mmol/l)

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please give my regards to your lovely wife, unfortunately she's giving you advice from a Dr's point of view which as you may have noticed since coming on the forum is a bit contradictory. If you are looking at keeping tight control over your diabetes it is essential that you test, especially after meals otherwise you will have no idea which foods spike your BS and which you can tolerate. I am technically a non-diabetic now but I will always continue to test my BS and keep a food diary and I really urge you to do the same as diabetes is a progressive condition and if you don't keep an eye on it there's the possibility of the numbers creeping up without you knowing it.

Reactions: 2 people