6wks and flying high

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
23 and 6wks pregnant.
First 2 days of receiving the exciting news. I had kept my sugars immaculate. Lowest 4.6 highest 7.8 and avaraging around 5.5.
Yes, I thought I had a handle o this. My baby can be healthy.
By the third day my highest peaked at 13 at night
, the following day I ran an average of 13mmol for the day, reaching 19 at night, and yet again im at 19 tonight too
Im so scared whay this will do to the baby. The first 8 weeks is the most import..the organs and bones are developing
I get so upset and angry..how can a developing baby handle this pressure?
I need help..I keep reading about birth development problems and miscarriage.
What will these highs do?

Oh and it makes morning sickess 10x worse

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First of all, congratulations on your exciting news!

Now calm down! No one wants results in double figures but the odd one or two won't be disastrous.

My first pregnancy was great and I expected my second one to be the same . . . How wrong I was. Like you I was worried sick that my high blood sugars were damaging my baby. I went through the pregnancy with totally unexpected highs and lows. Sometimes there was a pattern but usually not. My daughter is now a beautiful, intelligent young woman.

Obviously if you see a pattern you can make adjustments to your basal and bolus insulin. If there's no pattern just correct and ask your DSN for advice.

Try not to get stressed - it won't do your blood sugar or blood pressure any good. Just take it easy and relax.

Reactions: 4 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
23 and 6wks pregnant.
First 2 days of receiving the exciting news. I had kept my sugars immaculate. Lowest 4.6 highest 7.8 and avaraging around 5.5.
Yes, I thought I had a handle o this. My baby can be healthy.
By the third day my highest peaked at 13 at night
, the following day I ran an average of 13mmol for the day, reaching 19 at night, and yet again im at 19 tonight too
Im so scared whay this will do to the baby. The first 8 weeks is the most import..the organs and bones are developing
I get so upset and angry..how can a developing baby handle this pressure?
I need help..I keep reading about birth development problems and miscarriage.
What will these highs do?

Oh and it makes morning sickess 10x worse
Hey welcome to the forum , and big congradulations on your baby news :)
I'm also 23 and I am 22+5 weeks pregnant , loads of brilliant advice from the post above , haven't really got anything different to add .

But I know how annoying it is when things don't go your way , highs lows always doing the opposite to what it wants us too do .
It is the long term highs that can do the damage along as you are correcting and bringing them back down with in a good amount of time .
It's so hard not to worry as all you want to do is do everything right to make baby healthy . But your doing all you can and that's all anyone can ask for . But it is hard. What is your hba1c ?

x

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou for your supportive and friendly replies dancer and chloe
Im feeling less stressed and not so alone.
My last hb was around 8..my doctor atm isnt so concerned about what it is currently as long as I wake up around 5 and am undr 7.7 two hours after eating.
Thank you again for your support. Much appreciated :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for your supportive and friendly replies dancer and chloe
Im feeling less stressed and not so alone.
My last hb was around 8..my doctor atm isnt so concerned about what it is currently as long as I wake up around 5 and am undr 7.7 two hours after eating.
Thank you again for your support. Much appreciated :)

Hey how are things going for you now ? Hope your well. :)

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,
Congratulations on your pregnancy, how exciting!

When I first found out I was pregnant my sugars were all over the place and I majorly panicked, I was crying and worrying it was effecting my baby, I'm a major worrier anyway which doesn't help! But I was told as long as your sugars aren't high thought out your whole pregnancy and you get them down as quick as you can it won't cause damage, short term highs don't harm baby! And also your emotions can weirdly effect your sugars to!

I try not to get to upset when they go up as a diabetic our sugars do go lower and higher naturally, as long as your average Is good I wouldn't worry ☺️

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks madeline.
And ive been doing a lot better thank you chloe.
Like you all said the short term highs arent that bad. The worse are the hypos Apparently, they cause more dramas.
Atm im at 11hypos in two weeks...yea not that good. So my doctors are running my bgls at a slightly elevated levels.
Hows your pregnancy going chloe?
And hows your bub going madeline? What age now?

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
11 hypos in 2 weeks is good I think! Iv had 7 hypos in one day once .. I just couldn't get it up!

I'm 22 hun, baby good atm! Got my 16 week scan on Tuesday which is pretty exciting! I'm hoping they could tell us what the baby is!
How's baby with you?

Xxx

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations Stephanie.

Keep your blood sugars under control whilst pregnant is difficult as it is such a moving target. Test loads and keep adjusting your insulin. Have you got a good diabetes team behind you?

I'm 32 weeks pregnant now and it feels like a very long time and my fingers are in tatters.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks madeline.
And ive been doing a lot better thank you chloe.
Like you all said the short term highs arent that bad. The worse are the hypos Apparently, they cause more dramas.
Atm im at 11hypos in two weeks...yea not that good. So my doctors are running my bgls at a slightly elevated levels.
Hows your pregnancy going chloe?
And hows your bub going madeline? What age now?

That's brilliant to hear you are doing a lot better now . How many weeks are you now ?
That's good that your doctors are working with you closely and helping and advising you on what steps to take . Is so tricky managing all the tweaking and changing to try and keep bms on target , but will all be worth it , you sound like your doing fab though :) .
My pregnancy is going good so far , hopefully it carrys on going that way lol , got a growth scan the end of this month , nerve racking but exciting to see baby again . Were 26 weeks today :)
x

Leanneg86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys. Just wondering how you get on with antenatal appointments and time off work? I'm 6 weeks and haven't informed my employer yet. The 2 weekly appointments are going to be difficult I feel though.
This is my 2nd pregnancy have a son who is 3 but never used to work on a Tuesday then which is clinic day. X