A little advice needed regarding diabetes in older people

moh

Hi there, my father, aged 79, has a thirst he cannot quench and had become unable to sleep because of this, he is also feeling pretty wiped out. His GP has sent him for blood tests but unfortunatley his appointment is over a week away. I know a full diagnosis is needed but feel so sorry for him getting no beauty sleep! are there any basic sensible things in can do in the meantime, stuff to avoid perhaps?? I have searhed for hours but feel a bit over faced with information. I have also not noticed lack of sleep mentioned in any articles. Thanks folks x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: A little advice needed regarding diabetes in older peopl

As he is not diagnosed yet we can't be too specific but the advice we give to new diabetics may help to cut down his symptoms until he gets his tests done.

Read especially the bits about Carbs as, if he has high blood sugars, cutting down the Carbs will maybe alleviate these symptoms.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Whether, at his age he will want to change his diet is another matter however ! :D

moh

Many thanks for your kind reply, i will read the articles you have recommended.

Snodger

Also, while he is waiting for a diagnosis, make sure he doesn't try to reduce what he is drinking. If he feels thirsty, however much it's getting in the way of life at the moment, he should drink - it's important to avoid getting dehydrated. But try to get him to drink water or diet drinks, not fruit juice, milk, or full-sugar fizzy drinks (because they have carbs in).

moh

Will do - I can't believe how much water he's drinking!! Thank you for taking the time to reply :D