A Work In Progress

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My journey with Type Two Diabetes doesn't end until I die and as I cannot see into the future, I don't regard my story as finished. I am therefore, a work in progress.

My mother, a carbaholic serial dieter, has a part to play in the pre-diagnosis early chapters of my life. I can still remember her diets, from when I was a small child. Mondays were liquid days and my mother seemed to live on grilled grapefruit, Ryvita and cottage cheese. I worried that my brother would be allowed to eat whatever he wanted and I would be expected to diet.

My mother's obsession with her own weight extended to an obsession with mine and she actually tried putting me on a diet without telling me. So I have never been on a diet, never weighed myself and regarded my mother's concern at Size 12 me as obsession.

After being married ( and skint a year) I went from 12 to 14 then from 14 to 16 and steadily upwards. At size 24, in the only parts of me that I recognised were my eyes. Fortunately, my husband had worked hard and at college part-time and moved from blue collar into management. We were able to ditch the soya, cheap bread, soya margarine, sunflower oil, pasta and spuds that filled us out round the edges (me literally) for five years.

I joined a gym, a proper bodybuilding type gym, went three times a week and walked 6 miles a week, and the weight started coming off. So when I went to GP with gym injuries, the last thing I expected, was for him to say that he thought my plantar fasciitis was T2DM.

A year after diagnosis, via Gary Taubes and Dr Robert Lustig on YouTube and Googling, I started thinking about Low Carb because Low GI wasn't working and I was told that I was on a conveyer belt to insulin and might make 75.

I don't know how much weight I've lost but I've lost 12 inches off my waist. I've got one more inch to go, until I can nick my slim husband's jeans. My mother did weigh me after lunch and did my BMI so I'm evidently .6 into the Overweight category. No calorie counting, no starvation, BP 117/74, improved eyesight, no more gum disease, retinopathy mostly healed up and stable, normal LFT, excellent cholesterol etc and happy GP. Provided I stick to under 30g carbs a day I hover around normal and pre-diabetes HbA1c but in 2007 it was 13%

I don't know if that counts as a success story, because I still have the plantar fasciitis !

Reactions: 26 people

Saltyseas

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great that you've lost 12inches!! off your waist - gives me huge insentive to persist with what I'm doing.

I know what you mean about upbringing effecting the way you deal with weight - my mum wasn't a dieter but she and my father would always feel it was their parental duty to ask how much we weighed or comment on increasing waistlines to me and my siblings. We were all chunky and also all gained a lot of weight in our late teens/twenties to the point that I threw out my scales many years ago. I've only recently bought one of those posh ones that does fat/water and BMI - still can't get it to work properly!

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
That's fabulous @Celeriac so inspiring! Keep enjoying your success, you certainly worked hard for it . Those jeans will be yours☺

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a great success story, well done, despite any lingering plantar fasciitis! I have also suffered from it, and tendonitis in my lower leg too, before being diagnosed with T2D. Physio exercises helped me, now I just have to remember to keep it up even when it doesn't hurt!

Reactions: 2 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A very inspiring story.Very well done.
Is there a link between type2 and plantar fasciitis?? I was not aware of a connection.

Keep it up!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The main connection would probably be weight related. Plantar Fasciitis often occurs with people who walk or run a lot. It also happens to people who are heavier, so have more weight bearing down on the tendons under the foot. From what I have read that is the main cause in the US, where more people are heavier.

I had PF a few years back when the Government was encouraging people to walk 10,000 steps a day. I walked a lot anyway, but started to push my steps up more and more, even walking round the block during my lunch break at work - 3 circuits was about a mile or 2,000 steps. I ended up doing 25,000 steps or more a day, and then got Plantar Fasciitis. I could hardly walk for 3 or 4 months, and it took me over 9 months to recover. After that I kept to around 10,000 steps a day (about 5 miles).

When I was diagnosed with T2 3 months ago I started walking more again. I have been walking around 20,000 steps a day for the last month. But I don't want to risk getting PF again so I will be cutting down to about 10-15,000 steps a day. PF is really painful.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply.So as far as we know there is no direct link between PF and diabetes.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is this: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16162241.php

"People with diabetes are much more prone to develop problems with tendons than normal people. This is probably because the blood supply to tendons is normally pretty sparse, so very early diabetic changes in blood vessels may show up first in tendons."

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He's very clever. my GP ;) I don't have dropped arches or anything like that, it's settled down to a feeling as if I'm wearing a plaster on the bottom of my foot. Nothing more irritating than that.

Thanks for all the nice comments btw xx