Access to blood results Charge?

janno9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
F1 racing
I have just contacted my GP (after calling all day- as continually engaged) to request a couple of readings from my last blood test -2 months ago when I was diagnosed with type 2. I know the blood sugar results but I wanted the cholesterol and kidney function figures as I am going to a one day Diabetic education programme tomorrow and I have to complete a profile ready for tomorrow. I was told by the receptionist that the only way I could have the figures is to pay £10 for a printout which can be sent to the hospital for me to pick up tomorrow or pick one up at the surgery The Doc has already talked about how good /bad the results are but the blood glucose were the only figures I asked for at the time. Has anyone else had this problem?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ring back and ask to speak with the practice manager, £10 is ridiculous and I'm sure they could give you the results over the phone once they've verified who you are.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I just ask for a printout and they do it! No charge involved.

If they are going to charge, ask them to read it out over the phone.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My practise would appear to rather not do a print out of results, but will, if I am persistent.

I find that asking them to dictate all the results to me, whilst writing them down in front of them tends to ease the way forward. Fairly promptly they head for the printer. Minxy? Moi?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I dropped my form in at the surgery a few days before the course, they filled it in no problem, no charge, and there should not be one

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked the DN for a print out and she did it there and then. Bit outrageous to charge! Its essential information for self management!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's hard to believe they want £10 for doing their job. The receptionist prints out a copy of my results and I pick it up when I get there. Never a problem.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When i wanted some results i asked at reception (explained i needed then for an endocrinology clinic appt a week later), they said 'sure! We'll print them out, and leave them in an envelope for you to collect.'

Then, recently, i asked the nurse during an appt, and she cheerfully clicked the print button, and i picked it off the printer myself.

£10 is an absurd charge, though i would cheerfully pay say 50p to cover their print costs (although processing the payment - receipt, paperwork, bank phaff - would cost them much more than 50p).