Accu Chek Mobile vs Contour Next for blood glucose testing

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given an Accu Chek mobile by my diabetes nurse back around 2017 and I have been using it since. It has a 50 test cassette which you can't use after 90 days since using it the first time. The Accu Check mobile has an integrated blood pricker using Fast-Clix lancets.

I had stopped using the Accu Check meter for a while and recently started using it again. I was a bit concerned at the wide variations of reading e.g. 9.5 in the afternoon and 6.4 a hour later. So I was worried about the accuracy and consistency of the readings.

I did a search online to find the most accurate glucose test kit and one that seemed to be recommended was the Contour Next, which is made by Bayer.

I believe you can get one of these machines free if you apply online ... https://www.ascensiadiabetes.com/meters-and-strips-savings/free-contour-next-one-meter/
However, I bought one online from Chemist4U https://www.chemist-4-u.com/contour-next-connected-meter for £29.99 (I also bought some test strips as you need to spend £30+ to get free delivery).

I prefer to use the Fast-Clix lancets to the Micolet Next one which comes with the Contour Next, so I have bought a Accu Chek finger pricker.

The Contour Next test strips seem to have a 14month expiry, which is a lot better than the 90 day one for the Accu Chek cassette.
The Contour Next can be connected via Bluetooth to the Contour Diabetes App on your phone (mine is an iPhone 11 Pro).

I am going to monitor the Contour Next against the Accu Check for the next couple of weeks until my Accu Chek test cassette runs out.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I prefer the contour next range in general, very consistent.. also it is still possible to use the test strips even when expired

Also the ability to add more blood if you don’t get enough on first time around

I’m saddened because my surgery has just issues what I think is one of the worst meters ever :-(

However I think when I get my new pump I think it comes with a better meter so the hospital will get the go to prescribe the strips

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was given an Accu Chek mobile by my diabetes nurse back around 2017 and I have been using it since. It has a 50 test cassette which you can't use after 90 days since using it the first time. The Accu Check mobile has an integrated blood pricker using Fast-Clix lancets.

I had stopped using the Accu Check meter for a while and recently started using it again. I was a bit concerned at the wide variations of reading e.g. 9.5 in the afternoon and 6.4 a hour later. So I was worried about the accuracy and consistency of the readings.

I did a search online to find the most accurate glucose test kit and one that seemed to be recommended was the Contour Next, which is made by Bayer.

I believe you can get one of these machines free if you apply online ... https://www.ascensiadiabetes.com/meters-and-strips-savings/free-contour-next-one-meter/
However, I bought one online from Chemist4U https://www.chemist-4-u.com/contour-next-connected-meter for £29.99 (I also bought some test strips as you need to spend £30+ to get free delivery).

I prefer to use the Fast-Clix lancets to the Micolet Next one which comes with the Contour Next, so I have bought a Accu Chek finger pricker.

The Contour Next test strips seem to have a 14month expiry, which is a lot better than the 90 day one for the Accu Chek cassette.
The Contour Next can be connected via Bluetooth to the Contour Diabetes App on your phone (mine is an iPhone 11 Pro).

I am going to monitor the Contour Next against the Accu Check for the next couple of weeks until my Accu Chek test cassette runs out.
Following this, I have random readings at times it seems with mobile, I have stuck with it as generally in the ball park I expect and the cassettes come up on offer on e-bay often.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading on the Accu Chek Mobile were similar to the Contour Next or within about 0.2 mmol. You have the option on the Contour Next to add more blood if your blood droplet was too small, whereas it is very easy to get an error on the Accu Chek Mobile.

Overall, I prefer the Contour Next. The App is also very useful as you can review your recent readings using it. You can get replacement Contour Next test strips on Amazon for about £22 for 50.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading on the Accu Chek Mobile were similar to the Contour Next or within about 0.2 mmol. You have the option on the Contour Next to add more blood if your blood droplet was too small, whereas it is very easy to get an error on the Accu Chek Mobile.

Overall, I prefer the Contour Next. The App is also very useful as you can review your recent readings using it. You can get replacement Contour Next test strips on Amazon for about £22 for 50.
Yeah see the accu check mobile cassettes comes out 50 tests for about £8 on e-bay but good to see the tests were close enough.