Advice/Help - SOS

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I hope someone on here can offer me some advice.

Was at the hospital yesterday for my annual check up - HBA1C is 8.2

Has anyone got any tips for getting it down by a further 0.7?? The hospital have said they are looking for 7.5 as an overall before they will support me to have a baby. This is frustrating me because last year, my weight was a bigger issue and the year before, it was the HBA1C............so I feel like I'm on the eternal flip-flop of whichever consultant I see............

Thank you :D

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I dont know how your diet controll is (I realise most of the controll is insulin based being type 1) I am type 2 and have gone down the low carb route and it has worked absolutely wonders. With in the 3 weeks since diagnosis I have brought my bgs down to usuall between 6.2 & 7.2 at the mo but who knows I may come down again? . Ok I am eating only 5 to 15 grams of carbs pre day usually under 10 obviously I did this to bring my bgs down quickly and it has worked I go my results yesterday from my hba1ctaken 3 weeks ago it was 102 = 11.5% = 15.7 mmol/l but according to some books to get a true avrage you have to add extra I cant quite remember how much as it is an american thing but equats to an avrage of 18/19 mmol/l if I read it correctly ?. Obviously I cant tell you how to eat because as type 1 it is so much more complecated with having to use insuling it must be so hard and frustrating and easily discouraging. I cant even imagin how hard it must be. I am though at the moment reading dr bernstein diabetes solutions 3rd edition (its 20 quid cheaper than 4th) so much of what he says seems to make sence or to me at least . You may find it helpfull . Maybe you local library can get a coppy in?. Even if you dont go down his route it may give you some usefull pionters .
Best of luck james

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The list of things that helped me lower my Hba1c and improve my overall control were:

Reducing carbs in the initial stages and reintroducing them once I understood more about the impact on bg that food has, this was achieved by reading about the Glycemic Index and rigorous testing both pre and postprandial.

Enrolling on the carb counting course DAFNE, this gives you a greater understanding of type 1 diabetes management and although it's not perfect it goes a long way in reducing the amount of hypo's and hyper's that one experiences.

Exercising more and losing weight, both make you more sensitive to insulin and thus reduces your insulin requirements.

Reading Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, has to be the type 1 bible when it comes to advice and useful tips etc.

Lastly, the advice from fellow diabetics on this forum, one thing is for certain when you have diabetes is this.....YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING!

Good luck on getting the A1c down and trying for a baby :)