advice needed re insulin dependant T2

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am just looking for some advice/help/opinions/experience on behalf of my father.

He has had T2 for over 20 years. He has always strictly followed the NHS guidelines - sugary foods was a definite no and starchy carbs recommended. He started off on metformin then progressed to being insulin dependant. He is very rigid in his routine and control and keeps a food diary, medication details, charts all info re BG readings and insulin doses etc-basically his bible! Fear of complications has made him really strict with himself since diagnosis. He has never neglected the diabetes and firmly believes that he is doing everything right. He never eats sweets/cakes etc but maintains that he needs plenty of carbs as he is on insulin. He says his pancreas is knackered.

Now, I am only recently diagnosed so I don't have enough knowledge or experience but I think he may be wrong. I have tried to coax him to join this forum and look into it all in more detail but he believes that, as he is doing everything DN/hospital tells him, then he is doing it right! He did the DAFNE course several years ago. He has also had a heart attack and suffers from angina. His BG control seems to be erratic even though he tries so hard to control it.(he regularly goes from hypo to hyper)

I have read posts on here about people lowering their carb intake and thus insulin needs but I don't think he believes this is possible. (swimmer wrote a good post yesterday re his results)

I was hoping to get some feedback/opinions/experience so that I can show him or try to explain it to him. Either that or I need confirmation that I am wrong and he is right.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Carbs turn to sugar really quickly so the old advice on eating plenty of carbs is so wrong. Your father can try this for himself by cutting the carbs down and testing testing testing and he should see bgs are much lower but be sure to test lots as he wont want to go hypo and that could happen if insulin imput stays the same