advice/opinions needed re bread

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I was diagnosed T2 last week and am still trying to get to grips with the new eating regime.
NHS said base all meals around carbs but on reading this forum it sounds better to do low carbs.
I have been checking the carbs on everything now and have started buying Nimble wholemeal bread for sandwiches at lunchtime as it only has 9. something carbs per slice as oppose to over 15g in other normal loafs.
However, another diabetic at work has advised that I shouldn't be eating this bread as it is for dieters (which we are not) and it does not have the same goodness as a normal wholemeal loaf and will leave me feeling hungry. When I explained that I do need to diet and lose weight her answer was that I should be following a healthy eating regime and that through eating healthily I will automatically lose weight. (Prior to being diagnosed I survived on chocolate so have never ate healthy! :oops: )

Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

WhitbyJet

chocoholicnomore - the only way is to find out by testing, there are quite a few members who are fine with Burgen Soya & Linseed bread, doesnt make them spike.
Others, like myself, need something even lower in carbs, therefore I bake my own bread (recipes are in the low carb section, incl a 3 minute microwave one).
I have never tried Nimble bread because I found it to be rather flimsy looking, I need something I can get my teeth into.

I would say to try out different breads and test your bg 2 hours later, you will soon find out which bread is best for you.

Incidentally you still can have chocolate, I have posted a whole load of recipes for home made chocolates and chocolate cakes in the low carb recipe forum, guilt free treats they are.

All the best