Advice

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Need some advice have just done blood test and reading 17.5 yet 2 hrs ago it was 9.4 and have not eaten anything
I am on strong antibiotics because I have a kidney infection just now and have had high readings since taking then yet when j asked at boots pharmacist said the tablets should not affect my levels it was the infection
I have had 18 units of novorapid so thought that would have got my levels down after my lunch which it did but shot back up again ????

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Maybe you need to up your background insulin whilst on these tablets. I am on a pump and had to increase my insulin to double my normal dose whilst on my last course of antibiotics. They certainly had an affect on my BSs. I would ring your DSN tomorrow if you're unsure how much to increase your bolus by. I hope you feel better soon and manage to get those sugars under control.

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Riri I will give her a call in the morning I am on Levimer but only 12 units at night

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Antibiotics equally make my blood shoot equally a kidney infection will likely make your blood shoot as well.

So yes I would slightly increase your background insulin and just make sure you check your bloods after meals to see if it has gone up. Also be aware that over injecting novorapid can sometimes seem to do nothing then almost activate on a delay.... or at least thats what i find happens.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had that when I had a steroid injection no matter how mud I put in levels just stayed up
The doctor never told me to watch out for that was like that for about a week

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the infection that is causing the rise in your bg levels, apply the Sick Day Rules if your bg control continues to stay high, there's a good explanation in the following on how to approach this:

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=141
Thanks for that I have up my back ground and will see how they are in the morning I have had this infection for the last 6 days and only now starting to really get my levels up that is why I was not sure what is going on I would have thought it would have been before now that it would have affected my levels
Never mind big thanks for all the advice will see what happens on Monday I am back to work and all this is still new to me only been type one for about 2 years

Reactions: 2 people