alcohol

martin77

I go out once a week don't drink all.week but when I do go out I drink alot mostley lager what is the sufficient amount can U help

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
getting drunk is foolish for anyone, but more so for diabetics. If something goes wrong and you get in trouble, how can law enforcement officers tell if you are diabetic, if you are behaving stupidly and smelling of drink?
thus i would say have maybeone or two drinks. Instead of any kind of beer, try red wine or mixers like G&T.
Hana

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Martin, I love beer but it makes my sugar levels too high. I normally have a spirit and a mixer, but usually slip up after 6 drinks and have a beer!

With regards to the number of pints, if I have 8-10 pints my levels will be near 30. I just drink beer on special occasions, otherwise I try to avoid it. A single pint will push your levels up by about 5 mmol/l

purrple11

Hi Martin,

This is entirely subjective as you will drink what you like to drink, right?! Obviously you can't drink anything with high sugar mixers and cider is extremely sugary - so avoid that. Alco-pops (not that you sound like an alco-pop person) are also off the list.

It will take some getting used to but I always have a bit more fast-acting insulin when drinking. I don't adjust long-acting. And remember, if you drink a lot in one night, your blood sugar levels are likely to crash the next day - I always found it was around lunchtime.

Boring as it is.... everything in moderation. Always eat before boozing, drink water in between alcoholic drinks - and if you're sick from drinking too much, keep checking sugar levels.

Obviously, getting drunk as a skunk is not recommended.... but you don't have to miss out. And if you want to save face without boozing but pretend you are.... get a small lime and soda and pretend it's a vodka. As silly as it sounds, I still get people having a pop if I refuse alcohol, even if I mention the diabetes, sometimes it is easier to pretend!