Am I doing it right?

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my blood tester on Friday. So perfect to start on Saturday 1st of the month. Decided to test on a gradual basis after a different meal each day. First reading before breakfast on Saturday was 6.6. Piece of wholemeal toast and butter and 2 hours later was 6.

Sunday before breakfast was 6. Just before lunch it was 4.9. Tuna and mayo sandwich with lettuce, blueberry biscuit moments and 2 hours later 5.7.

Today 5.3 early this morning. Just before dinner 4.7. Bacon and scrambled egg for tea, plus a couple of rich tea fingers (not good I know, but just gave into the craving). 2 hours later it was 4.8. Although as part of my new routine I had been going for an evening walk, I missed it tonight due to getting back late/ rain.

Are my readings ok, they seem very low compared to the ones I read on here, am concerned they are too low. Whilst I don't know for sure as I don't have any scales, my clothes don't feel as tight.

As you can see I haven't managed to cut out carbs altogether, but have cut down (no potatoes for over a week -and I have cooked them for others in my family). Swapped to wholemeal bread. Have averaged about 110g carbs per day for the last week.

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my blood tester on Friday. So perfect to start on Saturday 1st of the month. Decided to test on a gradual basis after a different meal each day. First reading before breakfast on Saturday was 6.6. Piece of wholemeal toast and butter and 2 hours later was 6.

Sunday before breakfast was 6. Just before lunch it was 4.9. Tuna and mayo sandwich with lettuce, blueberry biscuit moments and 2 hours later 5.7.

Today 5.3 early this morning. Just before dinner 4.7. Bacon and scrambled egg for tea, plus a couple of rich tea fingers (not good I know, but just gave into the craving). 2 hours later it was 4.8. Although as part of my new routine I had been going for an evening walk, I missed it tonight due to getting back late/ rain.

Are my readings ok, they seem very low compared to the ones I read on here, am concerned they are too low. Whilst I don't know for sure as I don't have any scales, my clothes don't feel as tight.

As you can see I haven't managed to cut out carbs altogether, but have cut down (no potatoes for over a week -and I have cooked them for others in my family). Swapped to wholemeal bread. Have averaged about 110g carbs per day for the last week.
Eat to your meter. I find I peak at around 2 1/2 hrs. Perhaps test over a longer time and say every 45mins at first, just to See when your peak happens. We are all different. So far your readings look good.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Brilliant. I wish I had gotten a meter and gone low carb when I was first diagnosed.:woot:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Reported

Thank you, now deleted. Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Donna,

Those first readings are extremely good, well done. However, @Nuthead maybe right. Depending on what we have just eaten, our peaks occur at different times. The reason we test at 2 hours is because the 2hour reading is the only one with official guidelines. Refined sugar such as in your biscuits will peak very much earlier, whereas other foods will peak a bit later, and if the meal contains a lot of fat the peak will be considerably less but more prolonged. It also depends on how well your own insulin is working. It's all very confusing! I found most of my peaks were at 2 hours initially, but now they are all at 1 hour with the same foods as before.

I'm not suggesting you test every half an hour at the moment unless you want to, but do look at what you ate and try to test accordingly if you can. Sugar stuff - test at an hour, then again at 2 hours.