Unbeliever
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 1,551
wiflib said:High ketones are bad for any diabetic injecting insulin, not just T2's (in the presence of high BS).
I know it's old hat but I'd like to use IDD or NIDD again. Insulin dependent diabetes or non-insulin dependent diabetes.
Opinions please.
wiflib
Unbeliever said:You have me worried now about the possible reaction from my Practice if my urine est shows ketones. They are so efficient that in wo visits they manged not to accept the urine sample I took to them each ime so I possibly got away with it
Unbeliever said:Is it worth "carbing up " before the blood test? What will they do if they find ketones?
Paul1976 said:My Ketones are at larger levels when it's very late at night,between 11pm and 2am-Does anyone know a reason for this? :eh:
Paul1976 said:Hi Stephen.I get +/-(pink) during the day and ++(Burgundy) at night and my Bg's are around 21mmol or about then.I then drink loads of water to try and flush them out during the night.was thinking of trying the strips instead for my xceed blood monitor for a more accurate picture but I imagine they won't be cheap!
noblehead said:Paul1976 said:Hi Stephen.I get +/-(pink) during the day and ++(Burgundy) at night and my Bg's are around 21mmol or about then.I then drink loads of water to try and flush them out during the night.was thinking of trying the strips instead for my xceed blood monitor for a more accurate picture but I imagine they won't be cheap!
Paul, you really need to get in touch with your diabetes team as these levels are rather worrying.
Paul1976 said:I'm going to speak to the team on friday when they're teaching me to inject with the pen.
A while back-I told my GP about the Ketones(this is when I still had the type 2 diagnosis) He tested my urine and it was negative.he then said I probably had defective Ketostix and as a type 2-I wouldn't get ketones and not to worry.Now things have changed I'm worried about possible DKA and a chat with the team is called for now.
xyzzy said:Somewhere you said yesterday that people like me live in the "twilight zone" (50 - 100g) and that wasn't a good idea?
Grazer said:Unbeliever said:Is it worth "carbing up " before the blood test? What will they do if they find ketones?
Understand your thinking, but can it be right to do something you don't think is right for your health (carbing up) just to stop some apparently badly-informed medical staff drawing the wrong conclusion?
Perhaps instead you could prepare a well-argued reason for WHY you would have ketones and why it's ok - in simple terms they can understand of course! Something like
"Obviously, as you'll be aware, it would be alarming if I had high levels of Ketones showing with high BG levels. However, as my BG levels are extremely good (brief show of BG testing results) the ketones I'm displaying are merely reflecting the fact that I'm eating a lower level of carbs and burning body fat as a result; so, as I'm sure you'd agree, nothing to be concerned about." Back-up printed off internet quotes about ketones to be on hand!
Alternatively, just tell them "my body, so shove it!" :lol:
Unbeliever said:There ARE no terms simple enough for my HCPs. I might be able to express your alternative suggestion in sign language , however! I have had many a discussion wih them about various matters as I do tend to defend my own beliefs and have learnt to be quite assertive since diagnosis. Unfortunately they have very closed minds and very short memories!
The last time hey interfered - with my blood pressure - I suffered yot another massive bleed in my eye. They did not recod this properly and now deny any responsibility although they were errified at the ime. hey scare me.
While low carbohydrate diets may not be appropriate for everyone, choices should be left to individual physicians and patients. Key points that bear on the assessment of benefit vs. risk of carbohydrate restriction are presented below. The discussion focuses on type 2 diabetes but many of the principles will apply to metabolic syndrome and possibly to type 1 as well[6,7].
1. Carbohydrate restriction improves glycemic control, the primary target of nutritional therapy and reduces insulin fluctuations.
2. Carbohydrate-restricted diets are at least as effective for weight loss as low-fat diets.
3. Substitution of fat for carbohydrate is generally beneficial for markers for and incidence of CVD.
4. Carbohydrate restriction improves the features of metabolic syndrome.
5. Beneficial effects of carbohydrate restriction do not require weight loss.
Carbohydrate restriction is an intuitive and rational approach to improvement of glycemic and metabolic control. Data demonstrating that weight loss and cardiovascular risk are also improved remove these barriers to the acceptance of carbohydrate restriction as a reasonable if not the preferred treatment for type 2 diabetes. Finally, carbohydrate restriction is a potentially favorable diet for improving components of the metabolic syndrome and thereby for the prevention of diabetes.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?