Patch said:Back OT - no-one has mentioned that you seem to still be taking 2x500mg of metformin?
If you are going low, the first thing I would do in your situation (ie - trying to lose weight) is cut some (maybe 1 or even a half) metformin...
Not advice - just what I'd probably do.
Patch said:In my mind (and I know I'll get flamed for this!) a hypo is just an overdose of diabetes medication.......
Patch said:In my mind (and I know I'll get flamed for this!) a hypo is just an overdose of diabetes medication.......
Jeannemum said:Patch said:In my mind (and I know I'll get flamed for this!) a hypo is just an overdose of diabetes medication.......
Well Patch, it could well be true in this case. I have only been taking 3 a day for about two weeks, and I had already gone into the 4s, and 5`s before going up. I did wonder if I should bother, but did anyway as I am like thatI am interested to see if taking one off makes much/ any difference.
Pneu said:Right... there needs to be a clear definition here... many non-diabetics regularly have blood glucose of below 4 mmol/l... if the mean fasting blood glucose of the general non-diabetic population is in the very low 4's then by definition some people are going to have fasting blood glucose in the mid - high 3's... (3.3 mmol/l is commonly citied as the 'lower level' of normal blood glucose). What you don't see is them regularly falling over or collapsing from hypo's because this is 'normal' blood glucose.
borofergie said:Yes, but what he meant to say is that "a hypo is just an overdose of diabetes medication (not including metformin)".
Patch said:I didn't mean that... I meant:
In my mind (and I know I'll get flamed for this!) a hypo is just an overdose of diabetes medication.
borofergie said:Jeannemum said:Patch said:In my mind (and I know I'll get flamed for this!) a hypo is just an overdose of diabetes medication.......
Well Patch, it could well be true in this case. I have only been taking 3 a day for about two weeks, and I had already gone into the 4s, and 5`s before going up. I did wonder if I should bother, but did anyway as I am like thatI am interested to see if taking one off makes much/ any difference.
Yes, but what he meant to say is that "a hypo is just an overdose of diabetes medication (not including metformin)".
I think that the metformin might have been a factor (because it is supposed to make your liver a little more dump prone).
You definitely had a hypo (low-blood sugar) but it probably wasn't a dangerous hypo (like the ones that our insulin using friends experience). As Pneu said:
Pneu said:Right... there needs to be a clear definition here... many non-diabetics regularly have blood glucose of below 4 mmol/l... if the mean fasting blood glucose of the general non-diabetic population is in the very low 4's then by definition some people are going to have fasting blood glucose in the mid - high 3's... (3.3 mmol/l is commonly citied as the 'lower level' of normal blood glucose). What you don't see is them regularly falling over or collapsing from hypo's because this is 'normal' blood glucose.
You were absolutely right to take notice of your "hypo". But I think that for a VLCing T2 suddenly scoffing a big bar of chocolate to rescue this is likely to be counter-productive (and induce even bigger glucose swings). I think you did exactly the right thing, eating something normal, and taking it easy while your levels corrected themselves.
borofergie said:Sorry for putting words in your mouth Patch...
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?