Amputation support groups in Dorset

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I have recently had a below knee amputation and just about everything that could go wrong has! Even though I have good control over my diabetes I caught MRSA which then required a second op two weeks later to try and flush out the infection and also a little more bone removed. I’m now looking at a 3rd op as the infection has returned.

just wondering if there are any local support groups.

thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have recently had a below knee amputation and just about everything that could go wrong has! Even though I have good control over my diabetes I caught MRSA which then required a second op two weeks later to try and flush out the infection and also a little more bone removed. I’m now looking at a 3rd op as the infection has returned.

just wondering if there are any local support groups.

thank you
Wow, that sounds like a very nasty bout of bad luck!
I'm so sorry, and I'll have my fingers crossed that this third operation will solve the issue so you can start to heal properly and work on getting used to life minus part of your leg.

Not local to you at all but I'm tagging @Ushthetaff for you, who has had an amputation and is doing quite well with it I think (except for losing half a tattoo with the leg). Possibly he has some words of wisdom to share, and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions you have.
Wish you all the best and good healing!

• Friendly
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
hi Sorry to hear about your bad luck , unfortunately catching Mrsa in hospital in not uncommon ! I too had the same problem during my amputation,
losing any part of your body can be hard to cope with , but let me say I never ever thought it was going to stop me walking . You say your control is good , which is half the battle , plus you seem willing to speak about it again a positive thing , a positive mental attitude is so important, I have found the more you want to do the more help you will receive , and believe me the effort is so worth it ,you should be able to claim PIP , which will help to keep you mobile and independent,
please contact me if you feel like your having a bad day ,need any info or just need a chat , it can feel so daunting at first but believe me when I say it does get better , please excuse the pun but it really is small steps at first , and the rest will take care of itself ,
good luck and keep positive

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi Sorry to hear about your bad luck , unfortunately catching Mrsa in hospital in not uncommon ! I too had the same problem during my amputation,
losing any part of your body can be hard to cope with , but let me say I never ever thought it was going to stop me walking . You say your control is good , which is half the battle , plus you seem willing to speak about it again a positive thing , a positive mental attitude is so important, I have found the more you want to do the more help you will receive , and believe me the effort is so worth it ,you should be able to claim PIP , which will help to keep you mobile and independent,
please contact me if you feel like your having a bad day ,need any info or just need a chat , it can feel so daunting at first but believe me when I say it does get better , please excuse the pun but it really is small steps at first , and the rest will take care of itself ,
good luck and keep positive
Hi Ushthetaff,

thank you for the information, out of curiosity do you get the enhanced
PIP?

I have been positive throughout and still in that frame of mind even with all the infections. Things can only get better!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi Ushthetaff,

thank you for the information, out of curiosity do you get the enhanced
PIP?

I have been positive throughout and still in that frame of mind even with all the infections. Things can only get better!
Hi yeah I got the higher mobility rate ( which entitles you to a motobility vehicle , But the lower rate of the care element , which I do think is fair in my case , it obviously depends on the individual , I don’t know your personal circumstances but in certain sections eg regarding ability to take care of finances, medicines etc I can do myself so I don’t score any points, when filling forms in, do it as if it’s you worst day, and definitely get Citizens Advice Bureau to help
We’ll done on keeping positive , it helps so much , there are various prosthetics open to you as you go forward, this will depend on the amount of work you put in ,which in turn will help you walk easier it’s the start of a new way of life and I mean that in a good way ,
things will and do get better you‘ve done the hard part by actually talking about it ,
please feel free to contact me at any time
good luck
Mark