Anaemia

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just wondering if many have Anaemia as I seem to be anaemic which happens regularly, so wondering if anything to do with medication ie metformin

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you getting your blood test for vit B12 levels, @PatsyB?
This is the NHS information on long term use of Metformin and anaemia.

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP and EllieM

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Report says
Serum vitamin B12 level
ResultSatisfactory

Reactions: Pipp

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Full blood count
Haemoglobin concentration 99 g/L [115.0 - 160.0]; Below low reference limit
Total white blood count 8.9 10*9/L [4.0 - 12.0]
Red blood cell count 4.14 10*12/L [4.2 - 5.4]; Below low reference limit
Haematocrit 0.319 [0.37 - 0.47]; Below low reference limit
Mean cell volume 77.1 fL [78.0 - 100.0]; Below low reference limit
Mean cell haemoglobin level 23.9 pg [27.0 - 32.0]; Below low reference limit
Mean cell haemoglobin concentration 310.0 g/L [310.0 - 350.0]
Platelet count - observation 460 10*9/L [140.0 - 450.0]; Above high reference limit
Red blood cell distribution width 15.6 % [11.0 - 16.0]

ResultAbnormal

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34 and Pipp

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Iron levels I do believe and need to have infusion but unsure when all I know is I am darn tired all the time, they neve rsaid stop taking Metformin but maybe I should take myself off it

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have to have an endoscopy before can have an infusion and booked in for Thursday 6/6/24 not looking forward to that

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to have an endoscopy before can have an infusion and booked in for Thursday 6/6/24 not looking forward to that
I‘ve had a few gastroscopies due to digestive issues and low ferritin. They offer either a throat spray alone or a sedation. I tried the throat spray the first time but for me it wasn’t the right choice and was easily able to switch then and there and have the sedation (not out cold), just follow the advice re skipping breakfast etc if you think you might want this. I can honestly say I’ve never been aware of more than quite literally a few seconds at the very start and have no recall at all of the rest of it.

If it’s the other way then admittedly the prep isn’t nice (Vaseline is all I’ll say) and in comparison the procedure is brief and not too bad. There is always entonox (gas and air) available to help if you need it, just ask, as well as mild sedation. Better to get to the root cause if you can.

I’ve had infusions twice now for iron deficiency without anemia. No issues other than needing it done very slowly as I have small veins.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well all booked, endoscopy first then a week later Infusion , three weeks late blood test fingers crossed June will be good month over with laughs

• Optimistic
Reactions: HSSS

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
had mega amount of blood tests and just had a phone call asking me to go in tomorrow for an infusion as my readings very low I wish the Doctors would listen to us when we tell them things after all we each know our bodies better than they do.

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
had mega amount of blood tests and just had a phone call asking me to go in tomorrow for an infusion as my readings very low I wish the Doctors would listen to us when we tell them things after all we each know our bodies better than they do.
My infusions were straight forward but did have to be done much slower than they “wanted”. If anything feels odd say so. MOST find it’s a simple procedure with minimal side effects. If you feel odd afterwards potassium helps often (coconut water for example). If that doesn’t solve it ask for potassium to be checked.

i felt a significant cold/numb/tingling feeling in my arm at the rate they wanted. Slowed down I felt nothing and had no negative effects. My biggest concern was permanent iron staining from blown veins (mine blow very very easily). Doing it slowly with a small needle lessens the chances of this. And I was fine.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes had one today at the hospital they said may take a few days before feeling the effects of it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes had one today at the hospital they said may take a few days before feeling the effects of it.
Have they also checked b12, folate and vit D? They all work together. i assume they’ll be following up post infusion so perhaps ask for those checks then if not already done. Hope you feel the benefits soon (I was very tired for the first few days after btw).

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am still very tired after five days and still have muscle aches and pains both in legs and arms, have to rest regularly, walking makes me exhausted, today I am going for an endoscopy so no insulin or diabetic meds which is making my levels high, nothing to eat so hopefully it will be fine.
Vit D - the Hospital told me to get Vit D so bought 4000 IU and see how I go then maybe get a lower dose later if works.

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still very tired after five days and still have muscle aches and pains both in legs and arms, have to rest regularly, walking makes me exhausted, today I am going for an endoscopy so no insulin or diabetic meds which is making my levels high, nothing to eat so hopefully it will be fine.
Vit D - the Hospital told me to get Vit D so bought 4000 IU and see how I go then maybe get a lower dose later if works.
Tbh it’s not unusual for the real benefits to take months of consistently decent levels not days. And if you have high glucose levels going on they can make you feel rough too.

As for vit D they should be advising people to take vit K as well. D makes you absorb more calcium. Not a bad thing usually so long as it makes it to the bones and teeth etc and doesn’t linger in the blood where it isn’t such a good thing. K helps it move across to where it’s needed. Some supplements come together. And daily D is better than weekly so that’s good.

b12 and folate?

• Informative
Reactions: PatsyB and Outlier

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Stress levels through the roof, still tired out but have made appointment see what Doctor says hopefully soon feel better x

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34 and HSSS

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Ok Doctor gave me high dose of Vit D to take once a week for 7 weeks also I am very low on Folic Acid so have been given tablets for that also to take for 4 months, I went for second Iron infusion yesterday and feel a little better today not so tired but still got pains in arm and leg muscles so doping myself on paracetomol lol

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
These Vit D are capsules HuxD3 20000u caps and am to take two once a week sadly I am thinking they causing me bad insides so am wondering if should say no thanx, tried get into see the Doctor about this but could not get past receptionists, also wanted to tell the Doc about a heart murmer they say I have and have to have a heart scan on the 18th sighs

Edited by mod to remove GP information

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Will do and thank you for the information I have taken two capsules today and will see how it affects me, my tiredness is great so anything I think will help I will try x