Any advice

Dazza70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and am having serious problems with getting my blood/glucose test straps from my gp. I'm using 4 a day and im only prescribed 50 at a time so there not lasting long...any advice?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about instead of making demands and/or shoving papers in their face you have a discussion with them and ask for the reasoning why they're only giving you 50 test strips? Crazy thought, maybe there's a specific reason why they're only giving you that many.

When I was first diagnosed, I was given one Levemir pen, 50 test strips, and told to schedule a follow-up appointment the next week. During that time, my doctor was analyzing my c-peptide and GAD antibody tests to confirm the correct diagnosis.

Long story short, the following week I was prescribed bolus insulin, 250 test strips a month, and a Dexcom CGM (I'm in the USA).

Point being: have a conversation with your doctor to explain your concerns. If they're still giving you a hard time about it and won't give you a solid explanation THEN you can resort to the methods other people mentioned.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I said to ask his GP, not demand. And I advised to show them that letter as the OP said he had "serious problems" getting his test strips.
Fair enough.

I'm not saying your advice was wrong, but there are other steps I would (personally) take to make sure I understood the situation before making requests. Perhaps the OP has already had that conversation with his or her doctor, but it would be important to get a better understanding of the situation all around.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've been diagnosed type1 and you're in the uk be aware that nice guidelines provide for type 1 diabetics to be supported to test 4-10 times a day, or more if necessary:- https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2 (NG 17 1.6.11-12)

Discussions with your GP might include why the guidelines are not being complied with.

I mean you could be prescribe 50 strips on repeat. But this would require requesting a repeat prexcri to be filled more than weekly. Seems like an unnecessary admin burden for both patient and GP that could easily and sensibly be avoided by having a chat with your GP to get a script for 200-300 test strips, on repeat.