Any Advice

Fallenstar

Hi All
I have posted this in here and in the Type 1 forum in the hope someone will have some advice ideas that might help me.
I have been on a low carb diet (which I have used in the past) now for a few weeks , it has given me very steady good control over-all ,which is good considering it was so erratic before. I got a lot of peaks and troughs with carbs in my Control.
I am Type 1 and my BMI is 19. I have lost 3/4 of a stone in the 3 weeks I have been using this approach and I don't want to lose anymore at all.
I am eating more calories and more variety of good healthy foods. does anyone have any tips on the low carb approach to gain fat ...but I do not want to increase my fat intake much more than it already is...Would a protein shake do it? Any other low carb healthy ideas out/foods out there for weight gain.
I would love to keep up this approach because I feel so much better in myself off the roller coaster of carbs...but I do need to put some weight on.
:roll:

WhitbyJet

Fallenstar - first of all CONGRATULATIONS on achieving such good control of your blood sugars.

If you want to maintain your weight or put some on you will need to increase the calories, eat slightly more of the foods that you are allowing yourself to eat on your low carb diet, more protein and that has more fat in it anyway.
Do you eat bread? Low carb bread has more calories than ordinary bread, I bake my own, I have stopped losing weight and am maintaining very well. You dont have to have a drastic increase of protein/fat.
Its actually quite easy to put on weight even on a low carb diet. Have a look at this link, hope it helps.
http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2 ... -carb.html

Fallenstar

Thanks for that WJ :D It was very helpful

I will have to introduce some cheese ,though not a lover. Nuts sound like a good idea and certainly peanut butter...all good weight gain ideas.

The interesting thing to me is that I have stayed on the same amount of Bolus for an average meal without the carbs,I expected it to drop. I now don't get that "spike" after eating and then subsequently the dip in BG later on...My BG levels have been a lot more even and steady ,so I have felt much better.My diet is much more varied and I am eating more so I do feel fuller and generally healthier...no feeling Euuhhggg after a meal like I used to.
I think my Bolus has stayed the same if not slightly increased due to mainly increasing my calorific intake...just goes to show!...More calories, and weight loss :shock: But it was not something I wanted to achieve so the article you have posted for me shows that it won't be an ongoing thing for me, hopefully. With the success I have had with my Diabetic control I would really hate to go back to a higher carb diet.
I have had to reduced my Basal insulin so this will also explain the increased needs in Bolus somewhat but I did decrease this while back on the higher carb diet and it made no difference to my bolus then.
Thanks for taking the time to help WJ :D

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Fallenstar!

Yeh, I had exactly the same problem with low-carbing - weight loss. I simply couldn't keep the weight on. I know you don't want to add fat, but you have to add something to get the calories up. I added a lot of lean protein e.g chicken breast, but I also added fat such as cream, cheese, nuts, avocado (brilliant!!), olive oil and olives. Try to pick the 'good' fats as much as possible e.g. pour olive oil and balsamic vinegar over your salads - very high in calories but negligeable in carbs - spread melted brie on ham (delicious!!) and have avocado with sliced ham, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. I had to add a bit of carb back into my diet, but I still eat only around 40g carb a day and have managed to gain half a stone - need to stop gaining it now :oops: My BG has remained stable, though.

Smidge

Fallenstar

Hey Smidge

Thanks for that :D some good ideas picked up on there, especially the Avocado! I have been taking a couple of spoon fulls of it raw...tastes nice to me but not as nice as the coconut oil which I have also been snacking on but I will get some Avocados.
To be honest I'm probably on about 40 grams of carbs now a day and plan to increase a little steadily and see how my control goes along with the slight increases...but my days of toast, cereal, pasta are well and truly over. I just can't tolerate them.
Trouble is I'm not a cheese lover AT ALL but I am eating a lot with a fair amount of variety, so hopefully if I add more fats as you say and the good ones I will switch my body back into weight gain mode...at the moment ,unintentionally ,I'm in weight loss mode...but it does go to show how good this way of eating is for very fast weight loss...with no hunger :D

Whitby Jet..I have just been looking through some of your recipes for chocolate cakes ect...YOU are a Diamond :D Some fab ideas and recipes there . I'm off tomorrow to the shops to get some ingredients to make some of those lovelies...they should pack on a few pounds or at least stabalise the weight loss .
Thanks folks :D