Anyone else's sugars drop rather than go up when ill?

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well this last week has been an interesting week for me... about 7pm last Sunday evening I was starting to feel a little sicky, so tested to make sure I wasnt high and was 3.4... anyway struggled to have some lucozade as you do... by end of night I was being physically sick and continued to be so until 1am Tuesday morning... through out this whole time the highest I got my BM was 6.2.

my sickness bug over and done with and ive had a horrendous sore throat (cold im thinking) and am having hypos at about 3 a day and ive been like this since tuesday...

Roll on 10pm tonight when i can have more painkillers!!!!!!

I was wondering, i always read that being ill makes your sugars go up, and having "sick days" where insulin requirements go up... I really have never paid much attention to this before but as Im now on the pump I figured id be prepared... Does anyone else not follow the general rule and sugars go down when ill rather than up? :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dragonflye!

Hope you're feeling better! As a general rule, my BG goes up when i'm ill. however, if I take paracetamol, they drop drastically and I often end up hypo. Even worse, the paracetamol seems to disguise my hypo symptoms. What painkillers are you taking? Maybe this is just me, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else experiences this.

Smidge

KimSuzanne

Hi Dragonflye,
my sugars always drop when I'm ill and I'm not sure why cos when I go to the GP they ask "are your sugars high?" reply no and they say its nothing to worry about then. The only time mine go up is when I take steroids for a chest infection.

Hope your feeling better!

Kim

Fallenstar

Hi
Hope you are feeling better...mine also drop , if I am about to get a tummy bug, I know even before the nausea sets in, as after a meal I will just go into Hypo and remain there. ALWAYS the same just before projectile vomit starts, oh the joys of having school age kids :lol: ...it's because you have the bug in your tummy it won't let you digest the food..so the insulin works but the foods stay's put and does not start to be digested so blood sugars drop ...Then it starts :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: and I HATE it with a passion, vomiting while in Hypo..nice :lol:

Infections make my Sugars go up.But stomach viruses drop me low, I once had my other half ring NHS direct as I had been vomiting for hours and could not get my sugars up over 2 mmols ,they said it was a real surprise that my BG was not the opposite as usually acid in the blood causes the sugars to rise in this scenario...well it doesn't with me and them horrible kiddie tummy things usually start on a night after I've had all my days insulins :***: There is nothing nicer than trying to keep a load of Lucozade down when all you want to do is vomit it up...anyway I've got a Glucogon injection kit now so if I ever struggle to that extent again, I will have a bit of that.

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always have glucogon in now, I have to get a new prescription usually 2 or 3 a month for a new 1!!! :)

Painkillers im on are ibuprophen and co-codomol as and when I can have them...

Almost a week on and my sore throat is still waking me up in the middle of the night and stopping me eating anything other than soup :(