Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Franksie said:
CarbsRok said:
Here you go viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31773 if you read down the page you will see the links to the time insulin can be used.
Perhaps your consultant hasn't kept up to date so is just going by the old recomendations :)

Thanks for that. I think we may be talking cross-purposes though. I've not been told to change every 3 days because the insulin is no longer usable. The reason to change has been linked to the insulin binding to the plastics in the cartridge, rather than the insulin 'going off'

I wouldnt't call my consultant out of date - far from it as he is a leaing research fellow at Liverpool University.

Has anyone else been told about this binding problem?

Hi Franksie,
the insulin can not bind to the plastic as there is a special oil/coating used in the cartridge. My PCT insists that a cartridge can and must be used for 6 days. So I assume that bigger users must reuse the cartridges. My 200u cartridge lasts about 10 days at the moment.
When I self funded I used to make my 300u cartridges last for 2 mths before I changed one. IE I reused it. Again no problems.
I have been told off for doing this though as have been told the insulin degrades at about the 6 day stage. Personally I haven't noticed any difference in blood sugar levels. So best to go on what works for you :thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doing a bit of googling insulin binding to plastic was bought up as an issue back in 1988 in a letter to Diabetes care that is no longer online. This issue was addressed by Medtronic and their response quoted on another forum.http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/insu ... ll-discuss

Polyfin: Insulin-Compatible Tubing

In Diabetes Care for April 1988, there was a short letter that addresses a subject of interest to anyone who wears an insulin pump. The letter, "Medical Plastics and Insulin Pump Treatment" by Dr. Erich Sartorius, deals with issues related to the kind of plastic used in infusion set tubing. Dr. Sartorius points out several of the problems with polyvinyl chloride (PVC) tubing, and stresses the need for awareness of plastic and insulin compatibility.
Dr. Sartorius is not the only one concerned about PVC and its compatibility with insulin. A number of studies have shown that insulin pump tubing made with PVC has some significant drawbacks.
First, when insulin molecules pass through new PVC tubing, a significant quantity of them "stick" to areas on the surface of the plastic called binding sites. After a while, these binding sites all become occupied, and no more insulin sticks. What this means is that during the first few hours of infusion through a new set, as much as 70% of the insulin doesn't make it out the end of the tubing.
Insulin molecules are not the only component of insulin solution that interacts with the tubing. Special preservatives are added to insulin to maintain its sterility, and as much as 85% of these preservatives are absorbed into PVC tubing. Significant quantities of zinc, which is added to stabilize insulin molecules, is also lost to the tubing.
Carbon dioxide passes through PVC tubing relatively easily, and can change the pH of the insulin solution, making it more acidic. If it becomes too acidic, the insulin precipitates and can cause blockage of the infusion set. Materials that leach out of the PVC plastic can interact with insulin and damage the molecules, making them no longer able to function properly. If the infusion sets are sterilized by gamma radiation (an increasingly common method for sterilizing medical devices), this problem can be even greater.
To address the incompatibility problems between insulin and PVC plastic, a Medtronic Diabetes engineering team headed by April Konopka developed a new approach for infusion set tubing.
It has long been known that polyolefin plastics have fewer binding sites, are more resistant to carbon dioxide penetration, and leach far fewer materials into solution than PVC plastic. But polyolefin tubing by itself is not satisfactory, since it is brittle and can kink or break easily. By making a tubing with an inner layer of polyolefin plastic, a middle bonding layer, and an outer layer of PVC plastic for kink resistance and strength, April and her team were able to combine the best features of both plastics into tough insulin-compatible "Polyfin" tubing. They also decided that Polyfin tubing should not be sterilized by gamma radiation, but by another process that does not affect compatibility.
Medtronic Diabetes now uses Polyfin on our needle sets, and the non-needle Sof-set.
I don't know whether they now use the same technology or whether it has moved on.

When they test the viability of insulin in pumps they do use specific equipment hence this one used a Medtronic reservoir:
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10 ... .2006.0041
There's a lot of similar studies using different insulins and equipment.

Franksie

Thanks for the info guys. Like i say, its academic for me as i get through 200u in less than 3 days anyway. It does make you wonder why you are told some thing though - especially whenthe guidance goes against 'cost saving' logic