At a recent hypertension review I confided my fears of prediabetes to my usual dr.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut down, especially the refined carbs.... they really spike my sugars! I avoid overloading my body with sugar and carbs. Maybe one day I'll have to seriously count the carbs but I'm hoping that'll be prevented for a few years yet..

thank you!

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I know I'm being a fussy old f**t and think I can trace it all back to 12 months ago when I had an NHS health check and they found hypertension and made such a to-do about it. Quite right probably but it did turn me from being totally nonconchalent abut my health into someone who sees problems round every corner. I was always brought up not to make a fuss ,stiff upper lip etc etc but old age and the NHS changed all that!! If I were to buy a meter no doubt I'd be using it to excess which is not good!! Jury is out on that.

I can understand your trepidation at getting a meter if you were afraid that you will over-test. One of the reasons my doctor gave was exactly that. She said that docs were advised that newly diagnosed diabetics would obsess and worry about the condition if we were given meters straight off. She also said that in my case it was nonsense and that I would have benefited greatly from testing from the get go. I agree totally, it's better to know, you won't have any idea what spikes you and what is ok to eat otherwise but if you really are concerned about over testing and would rather not do it then try to control what you eat, read all you can about carb reduction on here and if you are able to exercise then do it.

I am sure you aren't an old worry wart, just someone concerned about their health. ;) I am 61 and was off the rails foodwise for the majority of my life. I am paying the price now and would probably be cast as an fussy old f##t too but it has paid off. I am sure that being told that we must grin and bear it, not make a fuss and keep that upper lip stiff did us NO favours whatever. You do whatever you need to to keep healthy! :D

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I would like to know what the Doctor's think is over testing... I was very keen to test but now that i know what spikes my sugars and what doesn't I find that the testing gets less and less. If I'd not ever tested regularly I'd still be overeating and craving the wrong foods. I'd recommend a meter to anyone... There's a saying: 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.' The meter gives you that extra info that we need.

Reactions: 2 people