Atkins Nutritional Breakfast Bars

DiabeticGeek

Since discovering them some years ago, I have always had a fondness for breakfast bars - compressed bars of fruit, cereal and nuts that make a great snack at any time of the day. Up until I was diagnosed with diabetes, I used to eat large numbers of these things but I haven’t touched them since because they do tend to be full of sugar. I was thus very interested to discover these Atkins Nutritional bars available from the Low Carb Megastore.

Nutrition
They come in quite a number of varieties – I have tried Oatmeal Raisin, Cinnamon bun, Cranberry Almond and Apple Crisp. They vary slightly in their contents, but they typically have about 15g carbohydrates, with about 3g sugar per bar. As well as the usual fruit and cereals, they contain soy and other proteins and a lot of added fibre. Comparing them with a typical “normal” breakfast bar they have about half the carbohydrates and a quarter the sugar, twice the fibre and four times the protein.

On the box they claim to have an extremely low GI – with only 5g of the carbohydrates impacting upon blood sugar. I am usually sceptical about this sort of claim, but in this case from my experience there might be something to it (probably due to the high fibre and protein). Eating one of these bars seems to raise my BG by about 1 mmol/l – peaking at about 1 hour and then dropping back very slowly – they certainly seem to have quite a low GI for me. Your mileage may vary!

Taste
They are surprisingly good granola bars of the “chewey” style. If I hadn’t known that they were low carb I really don’t think I would have guessed. They were a little too sweet for my taste (sucralose), but no more so than some conventional breakfast bars, and many people will like this.

Cost
They cost £4.85-£4.89 for a box of five bars – once you add postage to this, they are a lot more expensive than conventional breakfast bars (usually in the range of £1.50-£2.50 for a box of 6).

Conclusions
These are lower carb rather than truly low (15g in one small bar is still a fair amount). However, they do seem to be very low GI. They cost over twice the price of ordinary cereal bars, but they taste pretty good. I don’t think I am going to eat these very regularly, but I will certainly keep a stock of them - I can see them being a useful emergency breakfast substitute for days that one is running late.

Parselmouth

I came across these the other day, you can get them in Boots. They did raise my bs a bit more than 1mmol though, more like 3 although I had a couple of cups of coffee as well.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Geek
I wouldn't trust a 15 carb bar
I keep sliced meats and cheeses in the fridge for rushed breakfast. Mini party eggs work too

Trinkwasser

Might be a useful thing for fuel while walking etc. Small enough to carry without too many carbs. Don't think I could handle one for breakfast though.

red

re carbs in the atkins bars, have also bought them from the low carb megastore. I also found that they only very temporary raise my bg 1 at the most. I emailed them and they explained to me that the figure on the front of these bars, 3.7 (i think, is the net carb content) and that it is actually the net carb that we need to be concerned with as diabetics. and i have to say for me I have found this to be true as I was also skeptical. Also, just personally speaking, I have found that if you email the low carb mega store with any question/s at all, they always reply and they explain things very clearly and in a very detailed way: are very diabetic friendly and they seem to really know what they are talking about. I have just made another order with them with the cranberry almond bars, they are such a good snack and they dont get you off track. just my thoughts

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble