Thanks, it's good to know other's thoughts and I think it's only (after much gentle nagging) that I've got him to start testing more frequently otherwise he would probably have thought his BG was the same as when he tested on Friday !It normally affects the morning fasting level the most, but of course if you start a meal higher than normal you will end a meal higher than normal, and so it can go on. Not just a restless night, but also pain will affect matters, and if the pain continues during the day so may the higher levels. The stress over a neighbour dying probably won't help.
Well done to your hubby for reading up on matters and making such a great decision.
up to 48 hours ?! wow-well I have to say that does fit with Dr Fung's theories on how cortisol elevates BG. good luck with the yoga breathing exercises, it certainly ought to help xI suffer with disturbed sleep and, yes, my bg levels are directly affected for up to 48 hours after a bad night. Nothing I eat or even if I have not eaten seems to bring the numbers down so all I can do is note it in my diary and wait for normal readings. I also suffer with chronic pain and if the two collide then the rise is small but not insignificant.
I have returned to yoga breathing excercises I learned over forty years ago but it is too early to see if this helps but I figure it can't do any harm.
I'm sure the bad sleeping problems are the root of all of his issues. By his own admission he's a bit of a control freak so if he wakes up at night (which happens frequently) he will often go and watch TV (I know-I have told him this is a bad idea) or read for a couple of hours until he feels sleepy again. Whilst this has meant that he has learnt a lot about diabetes/about The Obesity Code but probably hasn't helped his BG levels.There are many things that affect BG.
Food is the obvious one which we all track and is relatively easy to measure. But there is also exercise, illness, pain, drugs, stress, even our bodies fighting bugs before we get to experience them in any other way.
So, sure, a bad night's sleep can affect BG. Either because of the lack of sleep or the reason for the lack of sleep.
If you don't have diabetes, your body can react and produce the right amount of insulin to keep this under control.
If you do have diabetes, that bit doesn't work so well.
No he doesn't wake up with the sweats (his T2 was asymptomatic) not does he suffer from bad dreams. Mostly his sleep is disturbed by pain from his side, being too warm or just waking up needing the loo/a drink and then the brain 'kicking in' and starting to think about all the stuff that needs doing. Being too wired basically.Usually sleep follows a cycle that if your body and brain is relatively happy, then you get a restful sleep.
However as those before have said many things could and will disrupt that cycle.
Having high blood glucose levels is one of them.
Also fluctuating blood levels is a cycle breaker in the description you gave.
In my experience, not being in control would make you wake up with the sweats and other symptoms, you would not get back to sleep and you would be tired and lethargic for the next day or next couple of days. It is awful.
Does he have bad dreams that wake him up?
Sleeping tablets wouldn't help either.
Eating your last meal early enough for it to digest, not having caffeinated drinks will help. Going for a half hours walk after his last meal will help. If you have intolerance to foods, then this could be the cause and only your glucometer will tell you what is happening to him.
If he persists with the low carb diet, this should alleviate the symptoms and his sleep will be less disruptive.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?