BD Micro-Fine + needles versus GlucoRX fine points

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I,m sure this has been raised many times before, however, I'm relatively new to T1 diabetes, it was pointed out to me that many people on these forums have reported that they are having trouble with bruising and pain when using the GlucoRX needles, which are the type I have been prescribed by my GP surgery.

When I was diagnosed as T1 in November last year, I was sent home from the hospital with everything I needed till the prescription had been put in place. That included BD MicroFine + needles for the injections. I had issues with getting used to injecting at first, but did get over that quickly because I was experiencing no pain injecting, or bruising and soreness. I was switched to the GlucoRX needles and ever since, all I have had is pain while injecting, bleeds, bruises, soreness etc, even though I rotate carefully.

Having it pointed out to me that many others experience similar, highlighted it, along with running out of needles and my pharmacy giving some of the BD needles until my prescription comes through. I tried one of the D needles, and it fitted the insulin pen far better, it was easy to inject and I felt no pain injecting.

How many of you have noticed similar? It does seem to me that it's purely down to cost, as the BD needles are more expensive.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If it is causing you pain and discomfort, I'd suggest that you go back to your GP and get them changed. If anyone puts up a fuss, offer to assist them in a small discovery session where you stick multiple GlucoRX needles into them, then multiple BD Microfine+ ones and see how many suddenly change their mind...

Reactions: 2 people

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am definitely going to try and get it changed to the BD needles. It's made worse for me in that I have had Crohn's for 11 years or more, had a major operation for that in 2011, spent 10 weeks in hospital, during which I was subjected to 4 blood tests, every day for the first 7 weeks, which resulted in a massive needle phobia.

So your suggestion of demonstration how useless the GlucoRX needles are, seems quite a good one! Those GlucoRX needles are not really helping me to be honest.

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's interesting to know about the new BD needles, and I will raise this point when I see a GP on Friday. I can imagine it must be difficult to get your daughter to inject when it's mostly causing pain and discomfort.

I was told by the DN that slim people and quite often small children, have more issues with bleeds and discomfort when injecting, so only allowing them GlucoRX needles seems to be counterproductive.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BD are soon releasing to general prescription a new pen needle called "Viva" it is near enough the same price of the GlucoRX needles but is as comfortable to inject with as the BD Micro-fine+ ones.
Sounds interesting, but why would they introduce a cheaper price version if it's the same level of comfort at the Ultra Fine?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea. My DSN gave me some to try when I first had issues getting the BD Microfine from my GP; that's the only reason I know about them.

Hopefully, with the Viva ones being cheaper, GPs will be more willing to prescribe them instead of the GlucoRX Ones. Less hassle for us insulin junkies! ;)
Yes, hopefully. I'm in the fortunate position of never having had any problems in getting the Micro-Fine Ultra's prescribed by my GP.

I just think it's highly unlikely that this Viva brand will be as good as Micro-Fine Ultra if they're also manufactured by BD and cheaper...otherwise they'll soon have no demand for the Micro-Fine Ultras!

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds interesting, but why would they introduce a cheaper price version if it's the same level of comfort at the Ultra Fine?

I would imagine it is simply down to trying to compete on price with GlucoRX. As Mahola suggested, it may well mean that these get prescribed more often. I'm sure anyone that has been the existing BD needles would likely carry on with them.

Queen_bee1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just today I continued my long-running battle with my surgery who seem hell bent on me having the GlucoRX needles which are excrutiatingly painful to use. 3 times in the last year one of the GPs has changed my repeat prescription from the BD Micro Fine without telling me.

Annoyingly, only a week ago, I was told that this would never happen again as they would always (Ha) consult me before anything on this list changed. Fingers crossed this is the last time it happens.

Why they do it I don't know. If they think it saves them money then I'm afraid it actually costs them as I will not use them. Also, neither the chemist nor the surgery will take back the GlucoRX needles and have told me I have to dispose of them into a sharps bin. There are 2 x 100 boxes, how many more 1L bins will I need to do that? No wonder the NHS is struggling.

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Queen_bee1, could it be that the prescriptions clerk at your surgery keeps changing your prescription irrespective of what the GP says, I know this happens at my surgery, and then excuses get made for them.

I now gave an appointment on Friday with a GP to hopefully sort this out, and firstly get my prescription changed to BD needles and have it doubled to 200 per month. What you say about the GlucoRX needles being painful to use, I can only concur with that and I understand your misery at the thought of having to use them. I intend to say that I will refuse to use them from now on, because I have just completed my third injection with the BD needles the pharmacist gave me earlier today, and all three were painless and so easy in comparison, not one bruise or bleed.

I don't think I can stand to carry on using the GlucoRX needles. Surely this also has implications for lipohypertrophy in future, better needles help prevent it.