Before LADA dx Cholesterol test

WMF

Hi. Thanks for reading in advance. I would appreciate any thoughts from LADA people please? I havent been dx type 1 or DM but have been using carb restricted diet for a few years to manage blood glucose. My HbA1c is normal. However I have been concerned for sometime re Diabetes and glucose regulation. Basically my glucose is erratic and goes too high if I eat more than 25g carbs whether a small banana or baked potato or brown rice. I’ve experimented with foods and tested. Consistent with glucose in urinalysis tests too. My dr has no answers for this as fasting glucose was 5.4mmol.l. but when I got home it had shot up to 7mmol.l. ?? i don’t think 8 hour fast was long enough!? I get fatigue easily and brain fog. Moody. Thirsty all the time. Struggle to gain weight I’m low normal. I stick to low carb eating because it keeps me even mood and glucose normal. But I lack energy still.
My dr is now just concerned about cholesterol (I’m female 40) and my lipid test which shows very high cholesterol. I have no other risk factors or family history of Hypercholesterolaemia. I follow the low carb research and try not to worry as I have low triglycerides and good HDL. The lipid energy model by low carb researchers potentially explains high cholesterol. If cannot use glucose for energy, fat energy is being shuttled and used instead.
Did you have severely high cholesterol especially LDL before being diagnosed with insulin dependent DM?
I just wonder if there’s a link at all?

Marikev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am no medic, but have your docs considered a thyroid issue?
I was being investigated for a thyroid problem when I was diagnosed with type 1.. LADA…I still have high cholesterol, despite dutifully swallowing the statins. Still being investigated for a thyroid issue and had full liver exploration done along the way!
There is some research somewhere on ‘normal’ glucose levels in peeps without DM, they fitted them with CGM’s and as I recall a rise from 5.4 to 7 wasn’t unusual, especially after eating and from my own experience sometimes exercise can shoot BS upwards, as I understand from a liver dump. Sorry haven’t got the link For the CGM research.
Have seen non DM people self funding a CGM for a couple of weeks to see what is going on.

WMF

Am no medic, but have your docs considered a thyroid issue?
I was being investigated for a thyroid problem when I was diagnosed with type 1.. LADA…I still have high cholesterol, despite dutifully swallowing the statins. Still being investigated for a thyroid issue and had full liver exploration done along the way!
There is some research somewhere on ‘normal’ glucose levels in peeps without DM, they fitted them with CGM’s and as I recall a rise from 5.4 to 7 wasn’t unusual, especially after eating and from my own experience sometimes exercise can shoot BS upwards, as I understand from a liver dump. Sorry haven’t got the link For the CGM research.
Have seen non DM people self funding a CGM for a couple of weeks to see what is going on.
Thanks for your reply. It’s very helpful. The exercise raising the glucose made sense. I had thyroid test last year and was normal. though a few years ago it was sub clinical hypothyroid. This was when I had a bad flare up in gut issues and the thyroid test went normal once I strictly started diet of gluten free and wheat free.