Benefits

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
HI all, does anyone else have a problem when claiming PIP. I.m T1 with numerous complications and more recently a left below knee amputation. they just do not seem to understand the conditions.

I live with my parents who own there house, yet they have been that they do not qualify for carers allowance and we cannot get hep to modify the bathroom or toilet, which is a necessity for me.

weirdly I applied for a blue badge, and it was approved and sent within a week.

any advice would be appreciated

currently in hospital due ti infection in my stump, which turns out to be MRSA

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all, does anyone else have a problem when claiming PIP. I.m T1 with numerous complications and more recently a left below knee amputation. they just do not seem to understand the conditions.

I live with my parents who own there house, yet they have been that they do not qualify for carers allowance and we cannot get hep to modify the bathroom or toilet, which is a necessity for me.

weirdly I applied for a blue badge, and it was approved and sent within a week.

any advice would be appreciated

currently in hospital due ti infection in my stump, which turns out to be MRSA
Hi Homer. I'm afraid I'm the benefits equivalent of a chocolate teapot, but have you contacts Citizen's Advice? Hopefully they could signpost you to someone or an organisation to help you make your application(s) for benefits.

From all I understand, claiming benefits is a bit of an art form.

I hope things take a few more positive turns for you.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be a bit of a long shot but every hospital has a social worker - maybe ask if you can speak them. You are within your rights to ask for an assessment for extra care.

The following site may be helpful to you, I find it invaluable when doing my sons applications or benefits

You can pay for extra help but I find the free parts are enough

Good luck, it can be intense and a bit stressful but don’t give up :)

Edited to make clearer

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add to for one of your parents to qualify for Carers Allowance certain criteria has to be met, the person cared for needs to be on certain benefits

All the info here for you

Eli

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Eligibility

You may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you, the person you care for and the type of care you provide meets certain criteria.

The person you care for

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

• Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Child Disability Payment - the middle or highest care rate
  • Adult Disability Payment - daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate