bladder infections

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
i keep getting these. Apart from taking cranberry capsules and drinking lots of water what can i do to prevent them?
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hi

I get these a lot. I've tried everything and for a while my GP let me keep antibiotics on standby.

I'm suspicious of cranberry as its an acid (bladder irritant) and fruit based. It made no difference to me when I took it. I avoid orange juice too.

You can buy potassium citrate over the counter and take some the moment you feel one coming on. That will often help me keep it at way.

And hygiene....use the loo before and after sex. Not the most romantic thing to do. There is a school of thought that pouring cool boiled water from a bottle 'afterwards' flushes the germs away.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 48610.html

Angela Kilmartin wrote a book about it.

If you find a miracle cure let me know too.

Cara

WhitbyJet

carraway said:
hi

I get these a lot. I've tried everything and for a while my GP let me keep antibiotics on standby.

I'm suspicious of cranberry as its an acid (bladder irritant) and fruit based. It made no difference to me when I took it. I avoid orange juice too.

You can buy potassium citrate over the counter and take some the moment you feel one coming on. That will often help me keep it at way.

And hygiene....use the loo before and after sex. Not the most romantic thing to do. There is a school of thought that pouring cool boiled water from a bottle 'afterwards' flushes the germs away.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 48610.html

Angela Kilmartin wrote a book about it.

If you find a miracle cure let me know too.

Cara

Spot on advice there Cara, would like to add that a daily dose of vitC will help prevent further attacks,

crystal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sport, high heels, fatty food.
I used to have this problem too! Apparently the bacteria which cause cystitis come from the bowel, so you need to be very very careful with hygiene ie. wash every time you go to the loo, or carry washlets to use when out of the house. Also ALWAYS wash before sex and empty your bladder straight afterwards. I haven't had a single episode since doing all this.
Good luck
Crystal

B

badcat

D-Mannos is a useful supplement for uTI's etc - you can get it thru amazon or health stores

renee

Iv'e had lots of Bladder infections lately. and been on three day Anti bios. However having had two falls they say its through that. And getting run down. As for Grapefruit and Also Cranberry Juice its on my medicin tray Not to have them ever. Hope this helps someone .good luck. :angel: