Blood clots in the lungs

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi I learnt at the weekend that I had blood clots in both lungs. Has any else been diagnosed with this and how do you cope?

Janiept

Expert
Yes, I have had multiple PE twice. The first time I was on warfarin for a year and then told I wouldn't need it any more.
Last summer I had the second lot of clots and have been told I will be on anticoagulants for life.
I would be interested to know whether you had DVT first or just PE.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi Janiept. I had PE. How this all started was my right thigh was hurting and had swollen. So I was sent to A & E where they did a blood test which strongly indicated a blood clot. So I had to go back the next day to have scans on the top part of my leg which came back negative. I was sent home and told to return the following week for a follow up scan. The scans again where negative. But with the earlier blood test showing a very high indication of blood clots. The doctor sent me for a Chest CAT scan which showed I had blood clots in my lungs and I ended up in hospital for 2 nights

Janiept

Expert
It's strange isn't it Alan, we are always told that clots start in the legs and move up to the lungs, but I had terrible chest/shoulder pain, couldn't breathe and went to my GP who listened to my chest and said there was nothing wrong.
3 weeks later I developed swollen painful calf and went back to GP who sent me straight to A&E. I got nuked at the same time and they discovered all the clots on my lungs that had been causing problems for weeks.
Miracle really that i'm still here, as the last lot hit the heart too.
It sounds to me as if yours was an undiagnosed DVT which moved onto lungs. Which anti coagulant are you on? I got lucky this time, as they have prescribed rivaroxaban instead of warfarin so I don't have to keep going for blood tests.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Lucky the doctor was good at his job and sent me for scan. I am warfarin and injections when my INR level drops below 2. I have blood tested every day. Today I was 1.9 yesterday was 2.0 and before that I was 2.3

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's strange isn't it Alan, we are always told that clots start in the legs and move up to the lungs, but I had terrible chest/shoulder pain, couldn't breathe and went to my GP who listened to my chest and said there was nothing wrong.
3 weeks later I developed swollen painful calf and went back to GP who sent me straight to A&E. I got nuked at the same time and they discovered all the clots on my lungs that had been causing problems for weeks.
Miracle really that i'm still here, as the last lot hit the heart too.
It sounds to me as if yours was an undiagnosed DVT which moved onto lungs. Which anti coagulant are you on? I got lucky this time, as they have prescribed rivaroxaban instead of warfarin so I don't have to keep going for blood tests.

Interesting, does the Nation Health cover the cost of Rivaroxaban ? Here in Israel my health insurance fund would not cover it. The reason was " not enough health problems to qualify" . So I paid out around $100 for my supply each month.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Hi Janiept. It looks like parts of my reply got through. I was having a lot of trouble with the app last night. I have to have a CT abdominal + pelvic contrast next week. Did you have one of them?

Janiept

Expert
Interesting, does the Nation Health cover the cost of Rivaroxaban ? Here in Israel my health insurance fund would not cover it. The reason was " not enough health problems to qualify" . So I paid out around $100 for my supply each month.
Yes but only for certain conditions Pasha. Because I have heart problems I am allowed to have it.

Reactions: 2 people

Janiept

Expert
Hi Janiept. It looks like parts of my reply got through. I was having a lot of trouble with the app last night. I have to have a CT abdominal + pelvic contrast next week. Did you have one of them?
No I didn't have that Alan, now I am wondering why, but I did get nuked so assume they got all the information they wanted from that. Let us know how you get on won't you.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
I'm wondering why too. Have they found something and want to check it out. I'm at my docs tomoz I will ask what it's about. And yes will let you know

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Alan,
I wish you all the best. Do the needful to recover. What is the routine treatment for this type of situation? how much it costs? Most importantly I need answers for national health coverage and conditions applied there of.

Alan22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude people
Thanks mekalu2k4. What is the national health coverage and conditions?