Blood donor and diabetes

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Thought I'd ask here - can you be a blood donor if you have Type II diabetes? I used to avidly donate blood due to an inherited condition my father had. Then I was diagnosed as being bipolar and they wouldnt take my blood due to my medication. They have recently relaxed the guidelines on psychiatric medication and I was wondering as I was Type II whether that would hinder my chances of now being a donor.

Just wondered if anyone else was a donor or whether there was guidelines that meant I couldnt

Thankyou

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have to contact our blood bank here and find out if I'm able to donate or not. The info they have on their website doesn't tell me diabetics on insulin can't donate. But then I'm on a lot of other meds and also have iron malabsorption. I could probably do with getting some blood out of me to get rid of the excess iron in my blood from the last infusion I had. But you're in UK there so you probably have different rules. I can't see why a type 2 diabetic not on insulin couldn't give blood though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Thought I'd ask here - can you be a blood donor if you have Type II diabetes? I used to avidly donate blood due to an inherited condition my father had. Then I was diagnosed as being bipolar and they wouldnt take my blood due to my medication. They have recently relaxed the guidelines on psychiatric medication and I was wondering as I was Type II whether that would hinder my chances of now being a donor.

Just wondered if anyone else was a donor or whether there was guidelines that meant I couldnt

Thankyou

Why not give them a call? I'm sure if they are able to accept your blood, they will welcome you back with open arms.

Well done, and thank you, for wanting to "do your bit". :)

Reactions: 2 people

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou all

I read through the posts and phoned the blood donor helpline this morning. You can as a type II give blood if you are stable on medication, but not insulin (as has been pointed out). My appointment is Tuesday afternoon so will go do my bit.

Makes me feel better after all my dad had treatment for his condition from 1991 until 2011 when he passed away. Every fortnight without fail an infusion of white blood cells. I'm just pleased they took the restrictions off my bipolar medication as I havent been able to donate for 13 years :(

As a pointer the blood transfusion helpline here in the UK were very good and informative.

Will have to wait until my youngest puts on some more weight and then I will have a blood buddy :p