Blood Donor - effect on HbA1c?

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I donate blood every 14 weeks. Would this have any effect on my HbA1c?

trying to judge when to have my next diabetic check - before or after donating blood.

I am T2 - diet controlled and havent had any ill effects or change in BG levels (self monitored) .

Any thoughts?

Thankyou

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes diabetics can donate blood. I have been, blood service fully aware I am diabetic and never had a problem.

As far as I am aware, diet or oral therapy controlled can donate blood.

I have one of the less common blood types so I am popular at the donor centre :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should have your test before donation.
Normal red blood cells live for about 3 months, at any time you have older cells in your blood and newer ones. The older ones will have had more time to become glycated.(have glucose attached) than the newer ones.
After you donate your body replaces the red blood cells that have been lost. This means that you will have a higher proportion of new cells which haven't been exposed to glucose so your HbA1c will be lower
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/tyk/421/right.htm

Reactions: 2 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Phoenix

Thankyou, will ensure I get annual check before i have my next donation (I want a true reading as possible not a false low)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm surprised the blood bank will accept diabetic blood, even from T2. What if your blood glucose is elevated? That would not be good for a patient receiving the transfusion. Where do you live? I was pretty sure I would never donate blood again, though admittedly I am on insulin.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Spiker

I am in UK. Have been donating blood for years, only time I couldnt was when I was pregnant and for 1 year after birth.

Officially diagnosed T2 in 2010 and I have continued to donate, as with everyone who donates blood they check which if any medications I am on. They always make a note that I take multivitamin with iron.

When I donated for first time after being told I was T2 the screener said even someone taking statins isnt prohibited from donating.

As an aside my brother-in-law has had a number of transfusions over last 18months, its the antibodies in the transfused blood that they most worry about rather than glucose levels (Brother in law is also diabetic).

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the explanation. That really did surprise me. Do they at least check the glucose level in case it's something crazy like 20 mmol/L?

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont get checked when I go to donate (I do check my own levels of course).

All I am asked (as is everybody) is if I have eaten before I came and drunk a pint of water whilst waiting.

I don't think they care much about the donors BG levels - well other than raising them with lots of biscuits/crisps/sugary drinks immediately after donating. I am always cautioned that I should eat a biscuit, they aren't too happy that I don't eat anything after donating.........might take some cheese next time :)

H

Hooked

I'm really surprised to hear they allow diabetics to donate blood. What about high blood sugars or ketones? Do they check?

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really surprised to hear they allow diabetics to donate blood. What about high blood sugars or ketones? Do they check?

When I donate blood they do not check my BG or ketones before I donate. Iron levels are checked and a health questionnaire completed.

To be honest I have never considered that I couldnt donate blood and donor centre werent concerned when I disclosed my T2 diagnosis.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Those who are diet controlled or take tablets are allowed to donate blood if they don't have any complications, if insulin treated then it's a big No,

However all diabetics can be organ donors, obviously the pancreas is out of the question as will the kidneys, eyes etc if effected by the condition, otherwise all other organs which are healthy can be donated (we have had this discussion before on the forum).

Reactions: 3 people
H

Hooked

Those who are diet controlled or take tablets are allowed to donate blood if they don't have any complications, if insulin treated then it's a big No,

However all diabetics can be organ donors, obviously the pancreas is out of the question as will the kidneys, eyes etc if effected by the condition, otherwise all other organs which are healthy can be donated (we have had this discussion before on the forum).
Didn't know that either. I def want to donate whatever I can to whoever needs it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Didn't know that either. I def want to donate whatever I can to whoever needs it.

I only know this about organ donation as I was stopped last year when leaving my hospital, previously I just thought we were excluded from giving blood and organ donation.

Reactions: 3 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's only a no for people treated with insulin in the UK, it's to protect the donor rather than the recipient.
On US forums I've read of quite a few T1s who donate.