Type 1 Blood glucose and a cold

louisemariexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I am just wondering when a cold starts to affect your blood sugars, I guess it probably varies for everyone but just asking anyway,

I think I might be coming down with a cold or something and I was wondering if it only affects your sugars when it’s in full swing or leading up to it?

(May sound silly but I am a newly diagnosed)

Thanks!

Macdonald1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 and yes being sick can affect your blood sugar levels, it happens to me, the best advice I can give is keep an eye on your levels by checking them more often. I know what it’s like to be newly diagnoised nearly 3 years now and I’m still getting use to it. Good luck :)

Reactions: louisemariexo

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@louisemariexo . Sorry to hear you may becoming down with a cold or something.
Yes your BS levels may well fluctuate / rise in the early stages of illness, during illness and after the illness has passed..
I recently had the flu bug. Spent 3 days in bed with crazy numbers, but more interestingly it took a further week for my sugars to stabilise and return to normal.
Keep well hydrated, check BS levels regularly and take it easy.
If you're unsure or worried then don't hesitate to seek medical advice.

D

Deleted Account

I think it affects my BG at the point my body starts fighting the lurgy. This maybe before I get any other symptoms. In fact, raised BG is often the first symptom of an oncoming cold.

louisemariexo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the replies, I’ll try drink lots and do what I usually do to help a cold, is there certain meds I should stay away from? I started feeling groggy and stuffy with a scratchy throat today (my other half had the cold a few days ago) and my levels at the moment have been stabilised between 4-8 mmol/L and before dinner tonight it was 15.6mmol so I was just wondering!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@louisemariexo .
Try to avoid cough medicines, some are sugar free but can have a laxative effect.
Over the counter cold remedies will always give advice pertaining to certain medical conditions, diabetes included.
If in any doubt ask the pharmacist.