Blood sugar and surgery

sugarmog

I had a small exploretory op last Friday, basically a cystoscopy of my kidney to better examine a large cyst that appears to have formed on it. It was done as a day case but with a general anaesthetic and intravenous anti biotics. I expected a bit of a rise in my blood glucose levels, but expected it to have worn off by now (Tuesday).However my levels still seem to be about 1 - 2 points above what I would usually expect to see. Last Thursday 5.6 fasting, 5.9 2 hours after breakfast. Today 6.4 fasting, 8.1 2 hours after same breakfast. A little bit concerned particularly as I had to have an Hb1ac as part of the pre op assesment and had actually dropped from 7.2 9 weeks ago to 5.9. How long should I be expecting to see a rise as a result of the surgery?

lauren_gee_x

Hi my reply probably wont be much help but I had surgery on my hand 3 years ago and found that my sugars were high for about 3 weeks after it.
I also had teeth removed under anastetic(sp) when I was younger and my mum said it was at least 4 weeks before my sugars settled down :D. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be along soon :p xx

Fallenstar

Hi Supermog
After surgery your Cortisol levels will be a lot higher, as this is released during surgery in increased amounts and after surgery during the healing process. Cortisol raises blood sugar, so you may have an increase in your blood glucose levels a few weeks, it depends how invasive a surgery is. Surgery is a big shock to your body and Hormones go crazy trying to heal what is essentially a "planned wound" so give it time things will settle down and you will get back to normal soon.
Happy healing :D

sugarmog

Thanks for the replies. It also appears I've picked up a bit of an infection from the surgery as I went to the Doctor today and my temperature is raised - I guess that won't help either, although my pre lunch test was a fairly normal 5.1