blood sugar in non diabetic

vicki209

Hi. My husband is type 1 diabetic and has been since he was 11 years old. It is also in his family. So my question is what should a childs blood sugar level be.
I test my daughter first thing in the morning before she ate and she was 6.2. Then a few hours after she had breakfast she was 8.2. Are these levels anything to worry about ?

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Vicki209,
The first figure is perfect and nothing to worry about, but the second one needs to be related to how long after eating was that reading taken before any opinion can be given. If you need to see what are 'nornal' levels then brouse throught this site particularly in the Newly Diagnosed section.

Babies have a slightly different 'normal' level, but children aged 4 and above even to young teens are virtually the same as for full grown adults. If you decide to measure the resultent B/G responce after eating, then the normal practice is to measure 2 Hours after consuming the meal, as this forms a reference point as to how well or otherwise the individual coped in digesting and metabilising their most recent meal.

Also please remember that children are at the growing stage in their lives so full fat milk and other types of foods that we adult diabetics would restrict or avoid are generally necessciary in a growing child (provided the child isn't obese/overweight).

Hope this advice is useful - Lazybones