Type 1 bovine neutral as bolus and basal

cocodog

Hello

What are the disadvantages of using hypurin bovine neutral as the only daily insulin?

My son started using bovine neutral a few weeks ago as a short acting, only found it impractical combining it with his basal bovine lente and after a few weeks trial, returned to Humalog as his short acting. Have since read that prior to synthetic insulins, it was common for people to use soluble only, as it seems to have been known then, perhaps 2 or 3 times daily.

It would be useful to have real life experience to enable him to have a meaningful discussion with the consultant at the clinic appointment in a few weeks time.

Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Before Isophane was invented I used just soluble (Neutral) twice a day as a child no it's not practical unless used in a pump.

I see you used Lente why not try Isophane it can be used successfully with Neutral you just need to remember that snacks are required mid morning, PM as well as a snack before bedtime.

cocodog

A few years ago Chris used Humulin I as his background but found it suddenly dropped his levels and they kept dropping, making it difficult to get his blood sugar stable. Thats why we ve kept away from insulin with protamine/isophane.