Brand new, retinopathy

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed yesterday. At my recent opthamology appointment there was a spot hemmorhage in my eye near my macular. I am wondering if now I am diagnosed and (hopefully) getting under control this will resolve or at least no more will occur. Is this hopeful or likely.

Thank you for your time.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello rorshach,welcome most posters here who have reported diabetic retinopathy have managed to reverse the condition by good bs controls, so don't be in any rush to buy new glasses, the low carb high fat regime works for many, but the golden rule is test your bs's before you eat and again 2 hrs after so as to know what spikes your bs's,keep osting and let us know how your coping, clive

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much, Clive, you've made my day. I've been on a very low GI diet for over 10 years which is extraordinarily lucky. Thank you again. Have a wonderful day.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thank you so much, Clive, you've made my day. I've been on a very low GI diet for over 10 years which is extraordinarily lucky. Thank you again. Have a wonderful day.
Very welcome rorshach, have you been given the welcome info for new posters yet?

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Issue is what did THEY say?

At the time I had no idea I was diabetic. They said it could be related to lots of things and that I shouldn't worry. When I mentioned it to the doctor he said it was likely retinopathy and would likely be controlled. I was just looking for an opinion not a definitive.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
At the time I had no idea I was diabetic. They said it could be related to lots of things and that I shouldn't worry. When I mentioned it to the doctor he said it was likely retinopathy and would likely be controlled. I was just looking for an opinion not a definitive.

Understand @rorshach and welcome

Just wanted to know the background and yep, if they say that and you take care of the rest of it, you'll be good. Watched an EXCELLENT program on this last nite in Australia (hospital in Australia as a matter of fact) and just amazing what they can do now. Take Care

Mike

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was diagnosed yesterday. At my recent opthamology appointment there was a spot hemmorhage in my eye near my macular. I am wondering if now I am diagnosed and (hopefully) getting under control this will resolve or at least no more will occur. Is this hopeful or likely.

Who can say @rorshach but hopefully so, but now these changes have been noticed in your eyes the Ophthalmology Clinic will bring you in for regular check-ups and will monitor your progress very closely.

The following website has some fantastic information and advice on diabetic eye related conditions ,have a good read around it:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Good luck and hope it all works out well.

Reactions: 2 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been referred to a diabetic retinopathy clinic? I would expect a pretty speedy appointment if I was you, then you can talk to the experts.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to halt it in it's tracks if you can get your diabetes control ok anyway x

Dark Horse

The significance of a macular haemorrhage depends on what the best corrected visual acuity is (as measured using a letter chart). With a good visual acuity (6/9 or better- roughly equivalent to that needed to drive without glasses) the haemorrhage counts as background retinopathy. If the visual acuity (using glasses, if needed) is 6/12 or worse, the haemorrhage counts as maculopathy and needs a hospital referral for further tests to see if the changes are clinically significant.