Branflakes with apple slices cereal

shadow

My parents thought it would be a good idea to get some, but I check the sugar and it was 12.8 grams. Is this a little too high for cereal as I am used to weetabix or oatabix. What if I removed the apple slices would that reduce any sugar?
The thing that is annoying is I would rather have like flakes than two bar things.

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Shadow, the 12.8g sugar measurement is pretty meaningless in my opinion.
These cereals have negligable protein and fat and are therefore almost entirely carbohydrate. Apart from the fibre, this is all metabolised into glucose by digestion.
If someone suggested you have glucose for breakfast would you take their advice? Me neither.
These things are always promoted as healthy foods, but it simply isn't true. You'd be better off without them.

All the best,

fergusc

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Shadow,

As Fergus has suggested, its not the sugar that is important but the carboyhdrate value. All carbohydrate will convert to sugar (glucose) in your blood. Sugar is already sugar so doesn't need to be converted and will raise your blood sugar level immediately. Carbohydrate will take slightly longer to appear as glucose in the blood.

If I remember rightly you are Type 1 so can counteract the carbohydrate level by adjusting your insulin shot. But why take on board high levels of carbs when there are alternatives that won't raise your blood sugar level so much.

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I suppose if you have to have cereal, then an unsweetened muesli, with an emphasis on nuts rather than dried fruits, would be a better choice. At least there are some beneficial oils and protein in there.

Sorry, Sarah, I can't think of a single reason to eat processed cereals. They are nutritionally extremely poor, and very high in sugar. Personally, I'm much better off without them.

All the best,

fergusc

chocoholic

I, personally, have had good results eating Weetaflakes. No highs afterwards for me but everyone is different.