Breakfast

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything low carb.:D Which tends to rule out cereals & porridge, baked beans , toast, jam. Though probably since you're asking in the Type 2s with insulin section insulin you may have a bit more leeway carbs wise than type 2s on oral meds or diet alone.

Instead try eggs, bacon, high (e.g.95%) meat content sausages, mushrooms . small tomato, cheese, yoghurt & berries, or virtually any other low carb higher fat that you fancy eating. There's no rule that says you have to eat normal/traditional breakfast foods, and this gives you a huge choice. Have a search of the low carb forum too - there are regular threads on this topic and plenty of other tasty suggestions.

Robbity

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My diet is quite limited anyhow so I stick to what I know works and usually that is a small bowl of porridge. Back in the days where I was doing low carb and didn't have a lot of the health problems I now have... I used to eat bacon, tomatoes, sausages, eggs, and things like that for breakfast. I couldn't do that now. I also stopped doing low carb as I was one of the unfortunate people that winds up with sky high cholesterol. I can't afford that when heart disease runs in my family. What you choose to eat depends what your aim is and how you are controlling your sugar levels. You may be on low carb if you are on diet control only, then if you're on meds or insulin you could be eating more carbs. If you have no other diet restrictions then you should be ok to try out quite a few different breakfast dishes and see what works well. I'm one for routine and I just stick to what I know that works as I'm normally in a hurry in the mornings as well.

Reactions: Bentley_Robinson

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What you choose to eat depends what your aim is and how you are controlling your sugar levels.
Agree. The more we learn about ourselves (not just the diabetes bit) the more have have to make final decisions on our own. That can be quite a lonely place, because usually it involves a degree of faith. Something works for others, but to know if it will work for me I have to trust and try it.
That's why imho this forum is so successful in its ongoing support.
Anyway I had poached salmon with cream cheese and buttery scrambled egg for breakfast. And coffee with double cream. Yum.

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree. The more we learn about ourselves (not just the diabetes bit) the more have have to make final decisions on our own. That can be quite a lonely place, because usually it involves a degree of faith. Something works for others, but to know if it will work for me I have to trust and try it.
That's why imho this forum is so successful in its ongoing support.
Anyway I had poached salmon with cream cheese and buttery scrambled egg for breakfast. And coffee with double cream. Yum.

Yes, what I find annoying too is that what works well for one condition, is bad for another. It is difficult. For example recently I was craving celery. I had to have a stalk of it every day. As it turns out I was rock bottom with iron level and turns out people crave ice usually or other strange things... but also celery is one of them. So I had an infusion and it took a couple of weeks to feel the effects. I then thought my ibs is really playing up badly and I've been in a lot more pain. Well looked it up and of course you're not supposed to eat celery if you suffer from diarrhoea. argghh. I have combination ibs. So I'm rather annoyed that I'm craving something healthy but it is causing me problems. I'm still trying to figure out what I can and can't eat as it seems to change. Apparently I'm allowed to eat royal gala or fuji apples... I tried both and they cause me pain, so I can't. The only way I find out all these things is to try it myself.... you're right. It is the same with diabetes too as I just read a science article about how healthy food may not necessarily be good for you and it gave an example of a woman who had high sugar after eating tomatoes. They did this huge scientific study and found that the exact same food affected people differently. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to the referred article here? Some may find it interesting. But it proves the point that we're all individual when it comes to how food affects us.