Broken Leg Changes Morning Blood Glucose

Alan7008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My T2 was under reasonable control with reasonable diet, tablets, and 20,000 steps a day. HbA1c was 7.0. My broken leg means that exercise is now minimal and I have been testing my glucose three times a day before meals to decide on what to eat to keep my glucose under control. For a while my pre-breakfast average was about 7, my pre-lunch average was about 7, and my pre-dinner average was about 6 but now my pre-breakfast average is about 9, my pre-lunch average is about 7 and - because I am trying to correct for my high pre-breakfast average level - my pre-dinner average is now 4.5. My dinner has minimal deliberate carbs (minimal potato, pasta, rice or bread and no sugar). I only have vegetables and meat. My drinks are sugar-free, fruit-free and alcohol-free - just sometimes milk in my coffee. I understand that protein can revert to glucose but I only expected that to happen if my blood glucose was low. I did not expect protein to push my blood glucose up to 9 or even 10. My pre-breakfast glucose test is often about at about 10am and I have probably walked 500 steps or more by this time. If I delay my glucose test for a couple of hours it stays high. I am 183cm tall and weigh about 89kg.
Should I be concerned by my high pre-breakfast glucose? Is there anything that I can do to drop it without it crashing?
Thanks