BS hr after eating

jade88

Hi ladies,
I'm not pregnant yet but diabetic midwife has asked me to start testing bloods 1 hr after meals (currently testing 2 hrs and levels are ok)
Bloods seem a little on high side but when I test 2 hrs after they seem fine not really sure what to do?
Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated! xxx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I would just up your insilin dosages gradually each day, use your insilin to carbohydrate ratio. and make sure your bloods sugars at 5.8 or below before meals.

What's your carb to insilin ratio?
Xx

jade88

At the moment 1 unit for every 10g tried upping my dose but then I hypo a few hrs later! xxx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you having a lot of carbohydrates with your meal?
Are you able to do 1/2 doses?

Are you on a Insilin pump or injections?
Xx

jade88

I'm on injections I have porridge for brekkie soup for lunch and protein with veg for dinner normally just seems to take awhile for the insulin to work! Wondered if I took insulin about half hr before eating if that would help? xxx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like the perfect diet! ☺️

I think I saw a something where it said diabetics should be injecting 15 mins to half hour before eating?

Thing is though don't beat yourself up about not getting the target everyday! It's so hard & sugars can go up for no reason! As long as your average is good that's the main thing! Iv been high after meals before but my average is 6.3 and the diabetic team are very happy with that ☺️

️Xxx

jade88

When I was first diagnosed I used to inject before eating but then felt I had to finish the whole meal to ensure I didn't hypo! Think I'm going to revert back to that tho see how it goes thanks for the advice! xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was pregnant they wanted me to test one hour after food and they want your blood sugar to be at normal range. Obviously you will then hypo constantly but as long as u eat small amounts it won't push ur sugars up. This is how I got 6.0 a1c throughout pregnancy bit was such hard work having constant hypos for 9 months lol!

nmb264

Have you tried doing a carb free meal, probably starting with breakfast to make sure you background insulin is working ok? you need to do it a couple of times in the week though then if you know when you introduce food back in and you are spot on with your carb counting then the hospital should help you adjust as required.
I've been told to go right back to basics and make sure background is ok. I'm on the pump now but when on injections I was always advised to do this.
My dietician also said that porridge is a nightmare and hard to dose for due to the impact on BG, I cut porridge out as used to see quite a big spike.
Depending on the food also depends on when to take insulin. But they do advise taking it before but I'm not an expert on when. I found the book 'think like a pancreas' very very informative.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey jade ,
Agree with what the others have posted brilliant advice .
Before I became pregnant I couldn't get within the 1 hour targets and explained this to the diabetes team , to be told that I most probably wouldn't hit the one hour targets post meal Untill baby was actually there and taking what they needed , and if i was to hit them I'd be in a too much of a low target range for baby then to take on top of that ( I'm really not saying this is correct just what I got told lol ) as I know everyone gets told differently .

Now I'm pregnant I am hitting the one hour post meal targets , and yes sometimes find that I drop between meals so I'm having to have a tiny snack sometimes in between meals , but it really is different every day for me so just have to take the day as it comes at the moment . And injecting 15-20 minutes early is really working for me too , sometimes maybe a bit longer if slightly higher on occasions .
I'm 28 weeks tomorrow , keep us all updated with your news , good luck
:)
xxx

jade88

Thanks for all the feed back ladies - last few days I've been able to get the post meal spikes down but am now having a hypo in the afternoon so will try and have a snack if I feel myself going low! x

Jules1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies,
I'm not pregnant yet but diabetic midwife has asked me to start testing bloods 1 hr after meals (currently testing 2 hrs and levels are ok)
Bloods seem a little on high side but when I test 2 hrs after they seem fine not really sure what to do?
Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated! xxx
Hi jade, my little one is 20 weeks today. During pregnancy I was told target was <7.8 1hr after meals which seemed impossible without having a hypo 2 hours after but I gradually upped my short acting insulin to achieve this and then had a small snack such as piece of fruit at 2 hours to save me from dipping too low. I did have a few hypos but my hba1c was 5.4 and all was good with baby. You just have to be super careful about low sugar and constantly test. It's all worth it in the end!! xx