Type 2 BS levels rising at night

johnnyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm type 2 and had 3/4 of my pancreas removed. Recently started insulin (Novorapid & Levemir). I'm having the problem whereby every evening/night, nomatter what I eat, and nomatter what Insulin I inject, my BS levels rise and don't come down. Even up until recently I was doing the LCHF diet and was eating little to no carb meals and my levels were 8-12. I have now started back on the Novorapid again and as an example, I went for a meal last night for my daughter's Birthday (Garlic potatoes/mashed potatoes & chicken) and took insulin. 1 hour later I took a slice of chocolate cake and took more insulin to cover. 1 hour later my levels were 6.7 so I thought everything was ok - Wrong was I. 2 hours later at 11pm I was 14 then when I tested again at 1am I was 15.4 and woke this morning to 9. Can anyone explain to me whats going on because I just don't get it. OK I had a load of carbs but I took enough to cover but why does my insulin not work at night? This should have lowered my bs but instead kept it elevated. I recently tested positive for antibodies, but this has been happening since I was diagnosed in 2010. Is it insulin resistance, or something to do with digestive enzymes/lack of full pancreas? I'd like to hear from anyone else who is experiencing the same.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know much about this, but have read and asked questions because my highest readings are consistently the first of the day, regardless of whether I get up at the crack of dawn or am not getting up till mid-morning. What I now understand (a bit) is the effect of the hormones on the liver, which means the liver puts more glucose into the blood stream. It's cortisol, glucagon and epinephine, I think. This might help explain better: http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/diabetes-metformin-and-your-liver/ What I wonder is just whether the insulin is not the only thing needed. But I'm really no expert in any of this!