Can we talk about soup?

Lakeslover

This made me smile. As usual my brain went straight from "I wonder how you make soup" to "ohhh I think I'll shop for a fancy soupmaker."
Your post brought me back to step 1....... Try making soup
That made me smile. I made soup using a stick blender and saucepan for years, until the stick broke. It’s a little more hassle but not much And definitely worth doing while you see if you like home made soup!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already said by Mrs. A2, bone broth is just broth made of bones, but this might also help - some supermarkets sell bones for stock in their meat department, butchers will save bones if asked, or you can do what I do and save bones from every time you cook something with bones in eg a chicken or meat joint. I have to watch the pennies quite strictly, and it's actually cheaper to buy meat with a bone in and get several meals from it. Freeze bones until you get enough for broth (doesn't take many - one whole chicken's worth is enough) pour on boiling water (cheaper to boil in a kettle that bring a pot to the boil on the cooker) then reduce heat to simmer. Put a lid on if you wish, to maximise heat economy, or leave the lid off to reduce the quantity of water. After a couple of hours on simmer, take the bones out and when cool enough to handle, pick any meat off and add to the stock.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for the knorr stock cubes as i find them overly salty......
I agree they are a tad salty but I do use them if I don’t have my own stock as I find them the nearest to fresh made stock, and you need less than the oxo cube type ones. Beware of the knorr stock pots - the ones like a little pot of jelly, they are quite carby if your on a very low carb diet - from memory I think they are about 7g carb per little pot.

You can buy pots of fresh stock but that can be quite expensive so I don’t bother unless it’s a taste preference. And sometimes I just use plain old water, sauté all your ingredients first will add more flavour

Reactions: Margarettt

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love soup, but I've never made one from scratch and my before diabetes favourites are about 3 years worth of carb allowance.

I'm so stealing all the ideas from this thread. If it's great and my family love it, I'm not going to lie, I'm taking all the credit. If it turns out terrible, it's all of yours idea! :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I work between different establishments and sometimes end up eating lunch in the car. The last couple of winters I have enjoyed a flask of hot soup at lunchtime. My norm would be broccoli and stilton or caulflour and wensleydale. I would heat it in the microwave at home early and look forward to that wee flask all morning. The trouble is these lovely tins are 15-20 carbs in 100ml and my bg spikes to match these numbers. I'm looking for something I can batch cook at the weekend then reheat all week from the fridge or even better the freezer. I'm okay with chicken and I like mushroom but really its that strong cheese taste I'm after. I'm a basic cook with a basic kitchen (so no soup maker or food processor) but I seem to have mastered low carb cauliflour cheese and potato(cauliflour) salad so I'm keen to have a go.
Any thoughts?

Full disclosure: I live in Gadgetsville, but we do use them,.............. mainly!

I love Two Sleevers recipes. She has loads for Low Carb and Keto. Some talk about using the Instant Pot (an electric pressure cooker) or other gadgets, but often she will give non-gadget instructions too.

Two Sleevers recipes are always simple, and always beautifully seasoned.

Diet Doctor also has a load of soup recipes, all of which are keto, so there's plenty to go at: https://www.dietdoctor.com/search?s=soup

Just as an aside, the Instant Pot (IP) is a fabulous thing, and for example, you can drop a berg/block of soup into it, frozen, and reheat it piping hot in no time. There are many electric pressure cookers out there, starting at very modest investments. We've just had IPs (yes, we have 2), since they were new fangled and seemed to cost a fortune!

Reactions: Paul_

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already said by Mrs. A2, bone broth is just broth made of bones, but this might also help - some supermarkets sell bones for stock in their meat department, butchers will save bones if asked, or you can do what I do and save bones from every time you cook something with bones in eg a chicken or meat joint. I have to watch the pennies quite strictly, and it's actually cheaper to buy meat with a bone in and get several meals from it. Freeze bones until you get enough for broth (doesn't take many - one whole chicken's worth is enough) pour on boiling water (cheaper to boil in a kettle that bring a pot to the boil on the cooker) then reduce heat to simmer. Put a lid on if you wish, to maximise heat economy, or leave the lid off to reduce the quantity of water. After a couple of hours on simmer, take the bones out and when cool enough to handle, pick any meat off and add to the stock
Thank you for this. I've been reading bits and pieces about fasting and thinking what on earth is bone broth.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so stealing all the ideas from this thread. If it's great and my family love it, I'm not going to lie, I'm taking all the credit. If it turns out terrible, it's all of yours idea! :)
Okay Paul. You and I are now in a first time soup makers challenge !

• Winner
Reactions: Antje77 and Paul_

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as an aside, the Instant Pot (IP) is a fabulous thing, and for example, you can drop a berg/block of soup into it, frozen, and reheat it piping hot in no time. There are many electric pressure cookers out there, starting at very modest investments. We've just had IPs (yes, we have 2), since they were new fangled and seemed to cost a fortune!
Now I want an instant pot too ! My tiny kitchen will burst. I had to put the toaster away last week to make room for the new airfryer.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I want an instant pot too ! My tiny kitchen will burst. I had to put the toaster away last week to make room for the new airfryer.
Throw a casserole, or some such together in the morning and press the button, then ignore it. When it has finished cooking, it stays of a food safe temperature keep warm setting for up to 10 hours.

There‘s a lot of sport - watched and played, so food being ready when we are, or we get in is fab!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I keep reading about bone broth but I'm still not really sure what it is.
Basically it is what you get if you stew/simmer any bones for hours. However, commercial bone broth usually has loads of extras added in.

I boil up the carcass and skin from a chicken after the meat is removed until the bones begin to soften and sieve it then use the liquid as a base for soup or gravy. In the old days in the UK we could buy beef bones from any butcher and use those too.
Instead of simmering bones I sometimes buy a pack of chicken thighs and cook them in a slow cooker. That produces a lovely broth which sets as a soft jelly.

You can add onion and carrot to the bones when cooking, but don't add too much if you are carb-counting.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically it is what you get if you stew/simmer any bones for hours. However, commercial bone broth usually has loads of extras added in.

I boil up the carcass and skin from a chicken after the meat is removed until the bones begin to soften and sieve it then use the liquid as a base for soup or gravy. In the old days in the UK we could buy beef bones from any butcher and use those too.
Instead of simmering bones I sometimes buy a pack of chicken thighs and cook them in a slow cooker. That produces a lovely broth which sets as a soft jelly.

You can add onion and carrot to the bones when cooking, but don't add too much if you are carb-counting.
Done in a pressure cooker in a couple of hours. I quite often put it on in the evening, then leave it on keep warm and clear up in the morning.

I love our pressure cooker.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Proud of myself I am. One massive pot of broccoli and stilton soup and it's lovely. My husband just tasted it and said "I'd eat that" which is high praise indeed. There are five or six good sized portions and only 20ish carbs in the pan. ( actually they are in freezer tubs now) Autumn work lunches sorted. Thank you all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230925_145355_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230925_145355_Gallery.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 59