Car insurance questions

Markca91

Hello,

I have type 1 diabetes. I notified DVLA prior to requesting provisional licence, received 3 year provisional, passed my driving test (manual) and received a full three year licence.

Now, when I go to compare the market website, there is a questions what type of licence I have. It is a bit complicated and I am not sure if I should put 3yr restricted (although I don't have any restrictions, just that my licence is valid for 3 years), or should I chose DVLA aware - no restrictions?

On another site, it seems a bit more obvious - there is no 3yr limit mentioned, so it seems more natural to chose that licence is unrestricted.

Can you please let me know which one should I choose?

Unfortunately, choosing 3yr restricted licence cuts 90% of the quotes and almost doubles my fees.

Since I have full licence (manual included), and licence has no restrictions written on it, considering that it expires in 3 years (and that is the only difference to "normal" 10yr licence), which option should I chose?

EDIT: I forgot to add that on the back of the licence, at column 12, I have no restrictions (no codes whatsoever) in B category.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 17.33.46.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 17.33.46.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 17.34.30.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 17.34.30.png
    463.7 KB · Views: 135

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello,

I have type 1 diabetes. I notified DVLA prior to requesting provisional licence, received 3 year provisional, passed my driving test (manual) and received a full three year licence.

Now, when I go to compare the market website, there is a questions what type of licence I have. It is a bit complicated and I am not sure if I should put 3yr restricted (although I don't have any restrictions, just that my licence is valid for 3 years), or should I chose DVLA aware - no restrictions?

On another site, it seems a bit more obvious - there is no 3yr limit mentioned, so it seems more natural to chose that licence is unrestricted.

Can you please let me know which one should I choose?

Unfortunately, choosing 3yr restricted licence cuts 90% of the quotes and almost doubles my fees.

Since I have full licence (manual included), and licence has no restrictions written on it, considering that it expires in 3 years (and that is the only difference to "normal" 10yr licence), which option should I chose?

EDIT: I forgot to add that on the back of the licence, at column 12, I have no restrictions (no codes whatsoever) in B category.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark

Insurers are not particulary interested in us and they are not allowed to discriminate against us because Diabetes is classed as a handicap (believe it or not).

When I phoned my insurer to tell them I was starting on insulin, they made a note of it but it did not affect my premium. So I don't declare it at the quotation stage but I make sure they are aware of it with a phone call so that the sneaky blighters cannot wriggle out of a claim later.

Take a look at this page for further information, you can see that there are conditions that have more serious connotations for driving than diabetes.

Hope that helps and sorry for delay responding but I haven't been around much lately.

Reactions: EllieM

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Your license is classed as 3 year restricted.

However it should not affect the price as they should not discriminate against you

However they MUST know about it as they can use it as a reason not to pay out if not advised

If you are struggling with online forms… call them

• Agree
Reactions: TG4567 and lessci

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am presently looking at my licence restrictions to see what I am allowed to drive (this is my 5th 3yr licence).

Trying to buy a van to convert, though could be an issue...:confused: