car insurance

gazzy786

hi
this is my first time on any blog I have Diabetes for the past 10 years I am on inslin+tablets I don't know if its just me or any of the forum .I think we are getting penallised for being diabetic .I have 14 years no claims discount at still my insurance is just under a £1000.00 but when I put my details in without being a diabetic it came down to £300.00

please let know if have similar problems

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ring the company direct and point this out to them, having diabetes shouldn't mean an increase in car insurance as the DVLA will have issued you a restricted licence having looked at your control and possibly gp/consultants reports, if you don't have any luck with your current provider switch insurance companies!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gazzy786, :)

Noblehead is correct.
Most car insurance companies no longer penalize people with diabetes by charging higher premiums. If you feel that you are being discriminated against, complain to your insurance company.
These days you should get at least 3 insurance quotes as to obtain the best deal.

Best of luck,

Roy, :)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Insurance companies MUST NOT penalise diabetics per se; they must have a valid reason - and data to back up their stance - as to why you personally should be charged an additional £700 due to your diabetes: DVLA and ABI data has often shown that T1D's are less likely to be involved in an accident - most of us are too terrified of DVLA's current stance to risk an incident where our BG levels could be used against us even if the accident was clearly the other person's fault.

So here's what I would do:
1) Print out the quote with your diabetes mentioned, and then print out the quote where the only change you make is not mentioning your diabetes;
2) Then complain to the company - you now have proof that they are breaking the law;
3) If you get no joy from them, complain to the Financial Services ombudsman and the Association of British Insurers (https://www.abi.org.uk/); send copies of your complaint and evidence to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission (http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/ and Diabetes UK - it is a criminal offence to discriminate against someone because of their disability... and T1D is a disability.

Kick them where it hurts!

And, if that's too long to wait then get onto a price comparison site, find a better insurer and then leave the current buns of anal effluence... They don't deserve our business - if they don't budge, tell us who they are and we can all steer clear of them.

Grrr! :evil:

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Oh, yes, and contact BBC's Watchdog - let their Chief Exec squirm in front of Anne Robinson as he/she tries to explain their way out of that one :twisted:

gazzy786

thankyou all for replying to my question .I forgot to mention I have a restricted licence which they give for 3 years at a time I have had it renewed 3 times once again thaks all