CGM with VIBE2020

Mrssimison

Hi,

Does anyone have CGM with the vibe2020 I am needing it to fine tune my control but would like to hear other experiences of success/unsuccess using it?

Many Thanks,
Jenna

Sleepless

Hi Jenna

My son is using the vibe with CGM atm (previously used dexcom and MDI). The CGM definitely helped set basal / bolus rates with both systems- well as much as anything can with the moving feast that is a growing boys rates.

If you have never read it I would strongly recommend that you get a copy of Pumping insulin by John Walsh and Ruth Roberts (we managed to get a copy from amazon). We pretty much used the testing as described in the book but with the CGM you don't need to fingerstick test as often (if you are confident of the CGM accuracy that is with ours we tend to know on the first day or two of a sensor if its accuracy is questionable).

Only other tip is if you are struggling with basal test as you need to eat then a basic omlette is our standby basal test meal (I know it has a couple of carbs in in from milk etc. but our 8 year old will not go a prolonged period without eating).

Mrssimison

Thanku for your reply, really good to hear a positive experience with CGM as I am prob going to have to fund it myself, was really lucky to get the pump, as far as i am aware there are only two of us type1 adults who have pumps under my NHS board, they seem to be more keen to give it to children here. I will defo try and read that book too - having problems sorting my rates for overnight, have tried various suggestions but would be good to see if CGM could be the key. I eat omlettes regularly - they are brilliant, i find following a low carb diet is excellent for my overall control - just wish the diabetic team I am with would agree, they seem to be in total fear of it!!

VickiT11979

I'm waiting to get funding approved for my new Vibe pump, but was allowed a trial of it with 2 Dexcom CGM sensors provided by the Animas rep over Xmas.
I used the first sensor for 13 days & the second until the signal failed totally, which was 15days.

They were very accurate overall - I thought more accurate that the Medtronic CGM sensors I tried - the vast majority of readings were within 5% of my finger stick BG readings & often less. Occasionally it'd give a duff reading though, and this seemed quite random, so I'd still check a BG before driving or if you don't feel quite right.

As soon as I get my Vibe I'm going to self fund the CGM as much as I can afford to - funding was requested 8 weeks ago & as the PCTs just switched over to CCGs at the beginning of April I think it could take a few more weeks while the CCGs get themselves organised :( .