Change from labrusca & novorapid to Humulin I

Chown1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I am type 2 diabetic and have been on insulin (lantus and novorapid) for around 8 years. I have been asked twice by my diabetic nurse to change to Humulin I. I fear this might be a cost cutting reason as Humulin is half the price of lantus. She tells me that new research has found that lantus and novorapid work well for type 1's but not so for type 2's. My long term glucose readings have not changed in the last 5 years and are always 9. I'm really scared to agree to this change. Has anyone else been asked to do this?

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No but your health team are probably thinking that 9 is high, and maybe just want to bring it down with a different regime? Maybe just give it ago, you might be surprised with the results!

Reactions: 2 people

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Humalin I. Have done since I was put on insulin a couple of months ago. I also use Humalog. Has been ok for me.

Reactions: 3 people

Chown1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies. I have refused to change over from Lantus and Novorapid to Humulin 1 but have now had a call from my surgery to see my Dr who I think will try to persuade me to change my mins. I have already said twice that I would like to continue with my present regime to see if I can get my numbers down before the next check but it seems they are on a mission to change me over. I have found a directive 'paper' on the internet where all practice nurses and Drs have an MO to change type 2's on Lantus/Novorapid to a much cheaper version I.e Humulin 1. They say that in type 2's there is no difference in results but half the cost!! I really am feeling harassed by them all. Should I agree to change?

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
You must do as you see fit, if its not broken why alter!

I was on Lantus and Novorapid but my BM's were sky high after coming out of hospital (admitted with BM 59.6) my GP recommended switching from Lantus to Humulin I (remaining on Novorapid) and he split my dose times of Humulin I (was once daily on Lantus) told me to inject Humulin I twice daily 12 hours apart

Touchwood things are improving

Like I said argue your case, if they do change it get them to document that you can switch back if you see/feel any deterioration

Chown1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again

I have that dreaded Dr appt in the morning where I know he will try to persuade me to change from Lantus/Novorapid to Humulin 1. My husband went to collect my prescription today and to my utter amazement the surgery had cancelled my prescription and in the bag was Humulin 1 and pens. OMG can they really do this without me even discussing this with a Dr? I am at a loss what to do so must keep the appt in the morning and try to persuade him that I want to stay with what (I thought) I have got! I travel abroad (not Europe so much) frequently and have a round the world trip coming up in 2016. I have read on this forum and on the internet that Humulin might not be good for a lifestyle where you don't eat meals at regular times. Is that correct? Oh, and they are not prescribing a short acting insulin to replace my novorapid only Humulin 1. Any suggestions as to what I should say to the Dr tomorrow?

M

mrspuddleduck

Just a thought. If your long term glucose levels (I presume that's your hba1c) have been 9 for 5 years then that's not really so good and maybe the GP is trying to do the right thing to lower your levels to prevent long term complications?? Of course if you really don't want to change your insulin regime I would go to your appointment armed with a very well thought out plan of how you are going to get those levels down youself without medical intervention. Good luck, Sue xxx