Changing infusion set abroad

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

We are travelling to Russia again tomorrow for our adoption court date on Tuesday. We were due to fly back on Wednesday but the flight was cancelled and so we will be stuck there until Friday (the place we have to go is remote and only has 3 flights in and out each week).

Anyway this means I have to do a set change out there. I will be putting a new set in tomorrow morning first thing before we go but will have to change Wed/thursday time. The area doesn't have the cleanest water (we use bottled for everything) so I am thinking of using an antiseptic wipe in the area I am putting new set in.

Does everyone think this is ok? I'm always worried about possible infections.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure it will be fine. I use gauze sprinkled with chlorhexidine, which is basically an antisceptic wipe to clean the area for all changes. (I get that prescribed here). It's been fine when backpacking and having to change in all sorts of strange places. (also fine when I go abroad to the UK :lol: )

becki

do you always use something to clean the area first? As I have never been told to do this.

also do you use anything to help remove the cannula as mine is always sore/red or bleeds when i remove it?

Good look with the case btw x

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Becki I always do my set change straight after a shower (and I don't use any heavy or oily shower products) as we were told about pump users having a much higher risk of infections. It's very important that your skin is clean before you punch a hole in it! When I get infections of any sort I don't heal well and my BG are crazy so I'm always uber careful :)

When I remove a set I soak the sticky bit in baby oil, using a cotton bud. Wait a few seconds for it to sink it and it makes peeling the set off SO much easier. Then I wipe the area with a clean tissue and dab a dot of Savlon cream on just to help it heal.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck with the adoption :) We don't use an antiseptic wipe either as we were advised that it wasn't necessary. But I notice a lot of pumpers in the US do use what they call IV Prep. I'm not sure why they are advised to and we are not.

Becki, we use adhesive dissolving wipes supplied from the pump company or you can also get lift plus from your GP on prescription. It helps to dissolve the adhesive on the set and much easier to pull off.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I was taught to do was to preferably change after a shower. To wash hands with soap and water using a complicated technique. To lay out everything needed on a sterile plastic mat. Swab bottle and skin with chlorhexidine (all come in one use sterile packets). You can imagine the extra waste all this produces. I've given up on the plastic mats. Though they were prescribed they were not reimbursed and I felt they were a bit OTT.
Never had any adhesive remover, but I don't find them difficult to get off anyway.