Chinese buffet christmas do...

Doczoc

We're going to a chinese for the works xmas do, can anyone recommend some low carb options from a chinese menu or should I not bother and meet them all after the meal. Seems to me that all chinese food is sugary and simple carb based. At this stage my diet is my primary concern so don't mind missing out.

Thanks

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Doczoc, get out there and enjoy yourself mate!
Other than our local baked potato shop, I've yet to find an eaterie where you can't hunt and gather some great lowcarb nosh. You're right to be wary of a few Chinese dishes, but there should still be lots of others to enjoy.
There will surely be lots of meat and vegeable dishes (not the sweet'n'sour or battered things obviously) which are just as good without the rices and noodles. Foo Yung dishes are fine too - simply eggs, meat/fish/veg and nothing else. Some of the sauces, typically plum, satay, and pineapple come laden with sugars and are probably best avoided. Even so, there are still going to be more lowcarb do's than don'ts on a typical menu.

Don't let diabetes hold you back, go for it!

All the best,

fergus

Doczoc

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll have another look at the menu based on what you've told me. Thanks!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Meat. fish, veggies and minimum sauce, skip on the rice and noodles.
I like Chinese buffets and eat bits of chicken and loads of veggies.
Remember you don't need to worry about fats.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just eat anything AND every thing. As others have said life is too short and a blowout every so often wont do that much harm......at least i hope not cos im having a chinese myself this weekend :lol:

Have a good time.

Brian

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I had Chines last night,Chicken chow mein,noodles,etc.Don't know what the BS was last night but this morning it was 5.4 so I'm happy.

Doczoc

Apparently it's a set meal and the restaurant are NOT doing any other meals on the day, so my choice is limited to the set meal which is the usual sweet and sour type stuff. Feels a bit rubbish paying £15 for food I'm not gonna eat, but I don't want to appear a killjoy.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Ha I've got the same thing coming up. Leaving do and Christmas do all in one at an all you can eat Chiniose. So bad, but so yummy. Go for it. Mop up later.

:D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This evening, I've eaten the weight of my head in chinese food at a buffet. Fried seaweed (yes, I know, cabbage really) duck with hoi sin sauce, garlic mushrooms, pak choi, celery, beans and other veg, skewered chicken with a rather suspicious tasting sweet coating, grapes, melon and oranges and my BS is 5.2

Eh?

wiflib

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Go for it I say! I go to a parents and kids group at my son's school every week and last xmas we had an all u can eat blow out at our local chinese (5 minute walk down the road - handy!) Suffice it to say, I stuffed my face and i'm still here to tell the tale. One suggestion is, load your plate with the stir fry and anything else is just a bonus! Have fun,

Bubsy

Doczoc

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll just go for it. I'm a bit concerned that it might knock me back a bit in terms of feeling ok though. I'm new to low carbing and have felt a bit light headed and tired this week, I'm hoping I get the surge of energy soon and don't want to the chinese meal to put a spanner in the works.

Ah ****** it! Cheers all!

Trinkwasser

Doczoc said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll just go for it. I'm a bit concerned that it might knock me back a bit in terms of feeling ok though. I'm new to low carbing and have felt a bit light headed and tired this week, I'm hoping I get the surge of energy soon and don't want to the chinese meal to put a spanner in the works.

Ah ****** it! Cheers all!

It might be a bit of a wakeup call if it makes you feel like **** - a sort of reminder of why you don't want to do it again <G>

Your body is probably used to running high BG and is panicking at normal levels, this should pass when your thermostat gets reset.