Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro

ajd564

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

So besides keeping your blood sugar levels well controlled, how do I plan for a hike with Type 1 diabetes.

I used to be quite physically fit but haven't been since being diagnosed 3 years ago and am not sure how it'll affect me, but I am determined to take on this challenge.

Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted Account

We are all different.
So the best thing would be to start hiking. Take longer and longer walks over hills and test your BG as you go.
There’s a good chance your BG will go down and you may need to reduce your basal insulin.
But only testing, trial and error will tell, unfortunately.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That is a big ask and a major expense, T1 aside. But I'd be doing a lot more research before you even consider it. Insurances for starters. On the other hand, you're 21 so if your mind is made up, solid prep is a must

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oatcakes spread with jam!

Jam for the quick boost, oatcakes for the long slow burn.

That combination has worked well for me through many long, couple of hundred miles, cycle trips with a tent on the back of the bike.

ajd564

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, everyone! Yes, I am definitely going to be a lot more research before committing to anything, just thought this would be a great place to start. I am determined not to let diabetes get in the way of life BUT I plan on doing it in a safe way, so understand a year may not be long enough to prep.

I know the range our BG should be for everyday life but whats the best for when exercising?