Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

iklpixi

Hi everyone, i've been struggling a lot lately with poor diabetic control & in my attempts at better self-management have realised that the medical services on offer (where i live) are actually fairly poor. From my own research i'm quite keen at exploring the possibilities of CBT - has anyone ever tried this in connection with their diabetes and if so what were your results?

Have asked for a consultation with a psychiatrist, which i'm on my way to now & intend to ask about CBT. I'll post on here the outcome of today's meeting.

cheeri bye

Dollyrocker

I know a few pereople who have had positive results from CBT (not with diabetes, just in general for anxiety, etc) Depending on what area you're in there can be a long wait to see a professional though

This website is a really good place to start with help in CBT, it's an online course

http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

dragongirl

If you can afford to pay privately you might like to look at http://www.counselling-directory.org.uk and put in your area and see who comes up that sounds likely to help. Any counsellor worth their salt ought to be able to help you with motivation to keep better control and exploring what stops you and why and what might help! CBT is good - but as Dollyrocker said, there's a wait sometimes. Thing to remember is you need to have a good relationship with the person, otherwise nothing will work. Give someone a try, leave them if you don't get on. The evidence says that the relationship is the biggest factor in a successful intervention, over and above which model of psychological therapy is used to help.
Hope today's meeting has been fruitful!
DG

Snodger

Please do let us know how you get on, it is something I've been interested in for a while too, but never tried.

iklpixi

Thanks for your replies. Yesterday was a consultation with a local pyschiatrist - he agreed with me that my analytical nature would probably lend well to CBT. However he has to now refer me to psychological services for further assessment and to establish whatever THEY think is the best form of treatment for me. Your both right - there is around a 6-month waiting list locally, so he has referred me to the next town's psych dept as the waiting list there is around 2 months! Bit of a wait but unfortunately i'm not in a position at the mo to pay for private treatment. However, i'll have a look at that link you sent Dollyrocker (excellent names both of you btw!) and see what i can do for myself in the meantime.

Will update when i finally get a bit further...x

Marzeater

I'm having CBT now after being knocked off my motorbike over 2 years ago. The therapist has been a great help.
It took 12 months before I admitted that I needed help. My GP refered me very quickly
I have discussed a number of other issues that have arisen since the accident one of them being the T2 diagnosis.
Like I've said a few times I wasn't diabetic before I was knocked off the bike.
Admitting you need help is the first big step.

johnny37

iklpixi,

It is often said that there is a link between diabetes and depression but I dont think its ever been proved. If not CBT may help but is nothing to do with your diabetes. Not intended offensivley but your user id may suggest your have a problem with your self-image. CBT is all about how to recognise inapproriate behaviour, and what to do about it (if you want to). ie treating diabetes as a challenge rather than a curse. I recommend a book called 'I'm OK-You're OK' by Thomas A. Harris.
The techniques in it are not unlike CBT. It did not completely cure me. I still suffer from chronic lack of self-esteem and shyness but it went a long way to my understanding why I felt the way I did and how to handle inapproriate feelings and have better relationships. Its full of anecdotes and feelgood advice and I found it just a good read! There is another book you may like to read along the same lines called 'Games People Play' by Eric Berne.

ps my gp did refer me to a psychotherapist but it only lasted two sessions, partly because I seemed to know as much about psychology as the therapist! I think she did not appreciate jokes like 'depression is all in the mind'!

Good luck.