Cold, increased insulin and exercise.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got an annoying cold, not bad but bs are high and although I've doubled my QA they're still hovering around the 10 mark. First cold since diagnosis and no DAFNE course in my area so not too sure about sick rules etc. Can I still exercise or are you better off waiting til Bs come back to normal? Fancy going for a cycle but unsure whether it's a good idea due to taking more than normal amounts of QA.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
General rule with a cold (for non diabetics) is not to do anything too brisk. So a cycle might not be a great plan, but maybe try a walk?

I'm in the same boat right now and certainly don't feel like doing any exercise!

DAFNE sick day rule is check for ketones. If it's just a Trace or 0 then check BG every 4 hours and correct as normal. Of you read above 3 on a meter or ++ on ketostix then you need to give a percentage of your normal total daily dose (I think 10%). I can't remember the regularity.

Have you checked for ketones? If you have ketones then I can look up the sick day rule for that for you :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers Hale, Ketones are fine, reading LO still. Think I'll give the bike ride a miss for now and stick to a walk. The dog will be chuffed anyway.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depend on the severity of the cold, if in single figures then gentle exercise will be OK as hale says, just be mindful that exercise makes you more sensitive to insulin and as you've doubled your QA it could lead to hypo's......but hopefully not!

Reactions: 2 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad I listened to your advice, just tested and its now 4.2. A bike ride might have been a bad idea! So frustrating when its all over the place! Thanks again.